47 crashes over honey bee

Same company in WI, that pilot was killed only one week earlier, another pilot ( same place I work) was spyaying and got a honey bee in the hel. and was nailing him on the arm.

As he is trying to get it off him, hand off of the collective it is bleeding rpm and bled it off so bad he could not recover.

He hit the ground tailboom first, then blades chopped tailboom off, spun around tore skids off, and knocked the bubble out of it.

I sprayed the same field today and saw where he crashed. It left a mark in the earth.

The pilot was not injured but I don't think he will get his safety insintive check this year.

Think this is bazare, wait till you see my next post (47 crashes over dog in helicopter)

I was always scared of that.....get a hornet or a wasp in the cabin. Or worse:

I have a friend who was cruising in an Piper Arrow at about 5,000 ft--had a mouse climb up inside his pant leg. Just in a few seconds of frantically trying to get it out, he lost 3,000 ft.

Good arguement for autopilots. Same goes for people who sneeze for like 30 seconds straight or have coughing fits. I was always scared of losing my glasses to a bird through the windscreen or flying with the doors off & catching a gust, so I got LASIK.

Something that happened to me......One day, doing my walkaround before lifting on a scene flight, I cut my hand on something and didn't realize it. We lifted off and when I went to switch over to the EMS freq on the radio in front of me, my hand was covered in blood (and so was the collective.) So I laid my hand on the stretcher next to me and the nurse and paramedic fixed me up with antiseptic, a trauma dressing, and a bandage in about 30 seconds! Now that's service--didn't even get billed.

Same company in WI, that pilot was killed only one week earlier, another pilot ( same place I work) was spyaying and got a honey bee in the hel. and was nailing him on the arm.

As he is trying to get it off him, hand off of the collective it is bleeding rpm and bled it off so bad he could not recover.

He hit the ground tailboom first, then blades chopped tailboom off, spun around tore skids off, and knocked the bubble out of it.

I sprayed the same field today and saw where he crashed. It left a mark in the earth.

The pilot was not injured but I don't think he will get his safety insintive check this year.

Think this is bazare, wait till you see my next post (47 crashes over dog in helicopter)

Oddly enough, I just did my solo x-country to a towered airport a week ago and noticed a bee in the cockpit within about 2 mins of leaving the pattern towards my destination. I was thinking to myself "o.k. just get ready for it if he stings you and deal with it" as he was flying around me but, fortunately, I didn't have to bother as he was whipped out the open right door within a few seconds of buzzing out of his hiding place. Made me wonder though if similar incidents which didn't result in Mr. Bee getting ejected had resulted in crashes. Now I know I guess.

Just another good reason to leave the doors off if I can.

Kelly

Something tells me i'd just let the bee or mouse do thier thing. Granted that is really easy to say when I rarely fly anything but my PC. :lol:

How about a rattlesnake? I had a bee sting me when flying and like you said I let it do it's thing.

But a rattlesnake?

How about a rattlesnake? I had a bee sting me when flying and like you said I let it do it's thing.

But a rattlesnake?

Gawd, i'd hope you'd see a rattle snake in the cabin before you entered. But now that you mention it... if a person is allergic to bee stings, it might as well be a rattle snake. They might not have much time before they'll NEED medical attention.

Did you at least offer her dinner??? :D

Nah, two big burly dudes in the back that day. :(

Something tells me i'd just let the bee or mouse do thier thing. Granted that is really easy to say when I rarely fly anything but my PC. :lol:

Oh come on!! You got a hungry mouse heading north up toward your junk and you're not going to freak out?? Ever see what a mouse can do to a hot dog?? I would be screaming like a little girl at a Hannah Montana concert. "[Let it] do their thing," you're nuts--soon to be lack thereof. :)

Now a bee, I could tolerate that. But I know a few people who are allergic to them that run like crazy. Wasps, hornets, snakes, or those fuzzy spiders and I'm getting out of the aircraft on the ground or at altitude!

• 2 weeks later...

I think if a person was allergic to bees, wasps, etc. and found one in the cockpit while in flight, the prudent thing would be to make an emergency landing. If the insect stung you, you should make a MAYDAY call while making an emergency landing so you could get some medical assistance on the way before you possibly when into shock from the allergic reaction. Remember, it might take EMS a while to find you as you could be flying over a remote area and you may be about to have a very serious medical emergency on your hands.