No Cal ship missing

Goldy

Is there any way to find the N number or pilots' names this early on? Any kind of preliminary NTSB

report or something?

A friend of a friend flies Sikosky's in Cali in support of the fire fighting efforts... just trying to make sure he isn't involved.

It is thought that the pilot is one of the survivors, so they may release names in a day or so....otherwise you have to know someone at Carson that could tell you. Usually takes a couple days even for a prelim NTSB report.

Very, very sorry to hear of this.

Goldy

My prayers and thoughts go out to the family, friends and loved ones of all involved. I worked with several Carson S-61's a few weeks ago, but not this particular A/C.

This occured near Junction City in Trinity County on the Iron Complex (in the Shasta-Trinity National Forest). This is the same complex (different fire) that a National Park Service Employee passed away a week ago as well when a tree fell and hit him.

Here is something I found, but the numbers don't seem to jive with what the news is reporting.

======================================

FAA FSDO: FARGO, ND (GL21)   Entry date: 08/06/2008

********************************************************************************

** Report created 8/6/2008 Record 2     **

********************************************************************************

IDENTIFICATION

Regis#: 612AZ Make/Model: S61 Description: S-61A/B/D/L/N (SH-3, UH-3, VH-3, HSS-2,

Date: 08/06/2008 Time: 0230

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N

Damage: Substantial

City: REDDING State: CA Country: US

DESCRIPTION

N612AZ, A SIKORSKY S-61N ROTORCRAFT, WHILE TRANSPORTING FIRE FIGHTERS,

CRASHED UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, THERE WERE 13 PERSONS ON BOARD, 4

SUSTAINED SERIOUS INJURIES AND 3 SUSTAINED MINOR INJURIES, 38 MILES FROM

REDDING, CA

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0

# Crew: 2 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: 0

# Pass: 11 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: 0

# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: VFR

OTHER DATA

Activity: Public Use Phase: Unknown Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: SACRAMENTO, CA (WP25)   Entry date: 08/06/2008

Roger- its the right report. It just does not yet list the "missing" as fatal as those remains have not yet been recovered and identified.

I think that ship is also known as Tanker 766, its the red white and blue one....

Glad to hear you are ok out there...

Goldy

Goldy, thanks for thinkig of me. I was trying to go thru my pics to see if we have worked with this particular ship, not certain as of yet. If i see anyhting else I will post it if it comes from the fire side of the house on this.

Here is the latest report showing the updates:

==============================

** Report created 8/7/2008 Record 1 **

IDENTIFICATION

Regis#: 612AZ Make/Model: S61 Description: S-61A/B/D/L/N (SH-3, UH-3, VH-3, HSS-2,

Date: 08/06/2008 Time: 0230

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing: N

Damage: Destroyed

City: REDDING State: CA Country: US

DESCRIPTION

N612AZ, A SIKORSKY S-61N ROTORCRAFT, WHILE TRANSPORTING FIRE FIGHTERS,

CRASHED UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, THERE WERE 13 PERSONS ON BOARD, 9 WERE

FATALLY INJURED, 4 SUSTAINED SERIOUS INJURIES, 38 MILES FROM REDDING, CA

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 9

# Crew: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: 0

# Pass: 13 Fat: 9 Ser: 4 Min: 0 Unk: 0

# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: VFR

OTHER DATA

Activity: Public Use Phase: Unknown Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: SACRAMENTO, CA (WP25) Entry date: 08/06/2008 #

Roger- its the right report. It just does not yet list the "missing" as fatal as those remains have not yet been recovered and identified.

I think that ship is also known as Tanker 766, its the red white and blue one....

Glad to hear you are ok out there...

Goldy

Me too.....Glad to see you're OK Roger! :)

Rob

R91

An article from an Oregon Newspaper:

Oregon News Article

==========================

Pilots of crashed helicopter from Cave Junction, Lostine

by Michael Rollins, The Oregonian

Thursday August 07, 2008, 8:50 AM

Both pilots on board the helicopter that crashed and killed nine in Northern California this week are from Oregon.

William Coultas, 44, of Cave Junction, survived the crash of the Sikorsky S-61 on Tuesday evening. He is listed in critical condition in the burn unit of the U.C. Davis Medical Center.

The command pilot, Roark Schwanenberg, of Lostine, was killed, along with one U.S. Forest Service official and seven firefighters for Grayback Forestry, based in Merlin. Although the identities of the dead have not yet been released, family and friends confirmed that Matt Hammer, of Grants Pass, was among those killed.

His father, Richard Hammer, declined to immediately comment. "We're grieving too much right now," he said.

In addition to Coultas, three others survived the crash. They are: Jonathan Frohreich, 18, at U.C. Davis, whose condition has been upgraded from critical to serious. Michael Brown, 20, is in fair condition at that hospital. Fire fighter Rick Schroeder, 42, is in serious condition at Mercy Medical Center in Redding.

Frohreich, Brown and Schroeder are from the Medford area, according to Grayback Forestry.

Officials are saying the crash, which took place in a remote, mountainous area of Northern California, is probably the deadliest air crash involving firefighters in U.S. history.

According to Roland Giller, an information officer with the Shasta-Trinity National Forest, the helicopter crashed about 100 feet from a designated, unpaved "helispot" on the north edge of the 83,000-acre Iron Complex fire in the Shasta-Trinity National Forest.

According to Bob Madden of Carson Helicopters and The Sacramento Bee, the crash took place under the following circumstances:

The helicopter was acting as a shuttle at the time of the crash. Madden said that on Tuesday evening, it was helping relocate a fire camp for the night because of danger from the fire the crew was fighting.

The helicopter crashed near the north edge of the large wildland fire. The craft was taking 10 firefighters and the Forest Service official out of the fire zone.

Both pilots had at least 10,000 hours of experience, he said.

On Tuesday, the helicopter had shuttled crews in and out of the fire zone and landed several times at Helicopter Spot 44, where the crash occurred, said Tom Karroll.

"It's at 1,800 feet (elevation) in very steep country, the Salmon Trinity Alps primitive area," he said. "As it loaded up and the people had put on their seat belts, it didn't have a successful liftoff."

"The overwhelming information is that the aircraft had landed and just taken off when this happened," said Madden. "Yesterday was the worst day of my life and I've been in aviation my whole career."

He said that the crash site was still burning late Wednesday because of residual fuel from the helicopter.

The helicopter caught fire after hitting the ground, Madden said.

"Two other company choppers responded to the mayday (emergency call) and dropped water on the ground around the burning aircraft."

If all nine of the missing turn out to be dead, it will eclipse the casualty total from the worst firefighter air crash to date, a 1972 accident in the Los Padres National Forest that killed seven.

The three surviving firefighters in the latest crash work for Grayback Forestry, one of the largest contract firefighting companies in Oregon.

Family members of the survivors were already converging at the hospitals Wednesday. Investigators with the National Transportation Safety Board, the Federal Aviation Administration and the U.S. Forest Service were headed to the crash site.

[Please click on link above for the rest of the article]

For further information check out the forum thread here. They are pretty quick in getting things online and you can get it first hand if your interested. On the last page of the thread it appears that possibly the single USFS member on board was a check pilot / inspector that was a retired CDF Heli Pilot.

wildlandfire.com Iron Complex Forum Thread

Here is a first person recount with some pics of what happened and events leading up to the accident from the perspective from someone that was first onscene from the air.

http://zionhelitack.blogspot.com/2008/08/s...khorn-fire.html