Stuck collective

So you're flyin' along, and you realize you have no collective authority. It's stuck. (let's not argue about hydraulics and such, it's stuck and it' doesn't care why....how would you land it?)

I would assume you'd perform a running landing using cyclic and throttle as your only controls. What techniques can you use?

This question was asked of me by my instructor during a pre-flight. My answer satisfied him, but neither he nor I have acutaly studied it.

It depends on where the collective is stuck. We do stuck collective procedures on pretty much every checkride. If it's stuck at a high setting, you may be able to land to a hover and then roll off just a little throttle. If it's at a very low setting, you may need to do a running landing, using throttle to control heading. In-between, you will probably have to do a combination, using whatever it takes to get it on the ground straight. In general, you want to set up for a shallow approach to a long runway, and slow down gradually as you go down the runway, playing with airspeed and throttle to touch down straight, at whatever speed you can get. The speed will vary with power - the more pitch you have in, the slower you can go. Just make sure you keep the nose straight, because touching down while moving sideways will usually result in a rollover.

Edited by Gomer Pylot

Living on the coast, I would fly inland. The ground will rise beneath you ever so gently that no thought has to be put into it, and once the ground reaches about 2 inches below the skids, kill the engine. Jeesh, -_- don't know why this stuff is so hard for some people. :lol:

For a stuck collective during cruise flight I was shown two different approaches:

1) slightly reduce RPM - you'll begin to descend and you can run it on. But do you really want to reduce RPM when it can be avoided......

2) Slow it down. Yes, at first you'll climb. But once you're on the back of the power curve (slower than Vy) you'll start to descend at some point. At what speed you start to descend depends on where the collective is stuck of course. But anywhere slower than Vy and the slower you fly the more power you need to maintain a constant altitude. From here Gomer's advice takes over....

I seem to remember seeing s thread like this about a year ago. I think the solution was to play with the throttle to adjust altitude. I remember saying something about using carb heat also. I remember also something about ballistic parachutes and detachable rotors...or maybe that was about ejection seats? I don't know.

Later

Living on the coast, I would fly inland. The ground will rise beneath you ever so gently that no thought has to be put into it, and once the ground reaches about 2 inches below the skids, kill the engine. Jeesh, -_- don't know why this stuff is so hard for some people. :lol:

It's so obvious! How could I have missed it! HA!