Do pilots get the respect they deserve?

OhhAndy

Im getting the feeling that some of the employers and contracts give the pilot very little respect and may treat them like theyre just grunts...is there any truth to this? I would like to hear the downsides of working as a pilot in the ems, eng, touring industry. I am aware of the good sides, thats pretty self explanatory but Im very curious about what is the low points of being a pilot. Thanks guys.

Pilots generally get what they deserve. It's a capitalistic society in the US, and employers pay what they have to, no more. If they could get rid of pilots entirely they would be much happier. There are no effective unions, so every pilot is on his own. The reason there are no effective unions is that pilots won't stick together, and are willing to work for low pay and in poor working conditions. As long as employers can get plenty of pilots willing to work for low wages and to be treated poorly, they aren't going to change, and I don't foresee any changes ever. Too many fresh commercial licenses willing to do anything for a job.

Im getting the feeling that some of the employers and contracts give the pilot very little respect and may treat them like theyre just grunts...is there any truth to this? I would like to hear the downsides of working as a pilot in the ems, eng, touring industry. I am aware of the good sides, thats pretty self explanatory but Im very curious about what is the low points of being a pilot. Thanks guys.

Generally speaking, you get the respect you earn on any job. Even then, it's the people you interact with who will respect you- or not- and treat you accordingly. Remember, some people are just jerks. To the company and it's management you're an expense that shows value- or not- and terms like 'grunt, associate' are meaningless.

The vast majority of the population, including your coworkers and management on most jobs, aren't pilots- much less helicopter pilots- and don't understand the job.

You have a right to expect all representations be valid, contracts be fulfilled, and that's all you 'deserve'. If you're expecting anything other than this from any workplace, you're asking for disappointment and you'll get it.

EMS downsides: Doesn't fly as much as I'd like; Lots of non-aviation issues and duties; Most duty schedule rotations day to night are not human-friendly (That's from a guy who likes flying nights); Isolated, can be resource and support poor.

EMS upsides: More or less stable job assignment; Home every day; Same general job description every time but enough variety in each individual flight to be challenging; The people you work wit are there because they really, really want to do THAT job.

Bottom line, a good job for a pilot mature in the profession if it's where you want to live and you can adapt to the unique environment.

Never done tours or ENG.