One technique I have used when training instructor candidates is to have them ground instruct primary students under the guidance of a qualified instructor. It gets the CFI candidate used to working in that position. And having to qualified instructor there to expand and possibly correct any problem areas, benefits the primary student as they get a different view point. I have found it works well, but the CFI candidate must be knowledgeable. Initially I will have the candidate ground instruct me in various maneuvers and aerodynamics. I have also had candidates do preflight instruction of primary students, while I observe.

I couldn't agree more, that is a great way to learn to do it...

We also use the simulator for that, helps with learning to talk through the flying with a CFI standing behind the cockpit again for the same reasons you stated.

• 2 months later...
Let's play nice kids....

I wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts, it's much appreciated. I've always wanted to get my CFI, and I think it's about time. I have checked a couple of schools in the area, and it's looking around $7K, leaning towards $10K at the most. The more prepared I am, the less I have to spend....I'm starting my book, so I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks to everyone that chimed in....and keep chiming in if you'd like.

Anyone fly at JJ at Torrance? Looking for John Testa a CFI at JJ, my email to him got kicked backed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

R91

Hi Rob,

John Testa is no longer with JJ Heli. I'll PM you his contact details.

Ron

I would recommend finding out who your DPE will be and meeting with them to discuss the checkride. I'd also talk with CFI's who had taken their CFI checkride with the same examiner, and find out the examiners style and any particular pet peeves they might have. Whilst all checkrides are theoretically standardized by the PTS, I think most CFI's out there would acknowledge that every DPE has their own style and, in a sense, their own criteria and "hot topics" that they want addressed a certain way in order for them to issue a certificate. My DPE has said the same comments as JEHH mentioned here - that "he wouldn't give a private certificate to some of the CFI's he has interviewed". However, whilst I know that happens, I also think that you could often take a student from "school A" and a student from "school B", have them trade places and they may well both fail a checkride with the other's DPE. Why? Because each examiner has their own style. The PTS is designed to standardize each checkride, but like everything else, to a certain extent, it is open to interpretation. In particular, "demonstrate instructional knowledge" can (and is) interpreted very differently by different DPE's. The fact is, you need to know what the DPE that you will use expects from you during your checkrides. I am not promoting "learning the test" rather than "learning the material", or suggesting some sort of short-cut or cheating technique. You need to know all the material (and be able to teach it), but you also need to know what to focus on. You could get dozens of different opinions here on what you should focus on, or what to expect in your checkride, and they could all differ from what your DPE wants to see. My CFI oral was about 3 hours, I have heard of other DPE's taking about half that amount of time. I have heard of DPE's requiring CFI candidates to draw schematics, on the spot, for different aircraft systems - yet other DPE's couldn't draw the same schematic themselves, but they'd fail someone for not doing a thorough enough post-flight inspection. Find out what your DPE expects, and plan on exceeding those expectations. I'd also recommend that you study the FOI's and take the FOI written before you start writing your lesson plans - the FOI's will teach you how to prepare your lessons plans in the correct format.

I know, I know, we all want to think our DPE is the toughest guy around, and by passing our checkride with him we could pass it with anyone - right? The pilot's ego is a complicated thing... :D

None of us know everything...

If someone wants to charge $17K for the CFI program, then that is their right. Don't complain about them ripping off or being unethical. If they charge $17K, maybe they have one awesome CFI program. Maybe they don't want to train CFI's and they are discouraging people unless those people want to spend a lot of extra money. If they have students spending that money, then way to go for them! They are doing nothing illegal or unethical by charging more then anyone else. We have a free market system and if those people who enroll in the program decided that it is worth $17K to them, then it is worth $17K. They could decide for themselves to go someplace else.

And I have flown with many CFI's who spend a couple thousand on their CFI and I wouldn't sign many of them off for a private, much less a CFI. There are a lot of CFI's in this industry who should've spent a lot more on their training.