Low flying helicopters in my area

Frontier Rider

Hello,

Along with you, I am hearing low level helicopter flying. It is annoying in the neighborhood in Escondido from 2:10 am. to 2:38 in the morning on 15 July, 2014. I really want to know who authorizes these low level helicopter flights and they circle around about twelve times. It messes up people's sleep, not just mine. Who or what organization authorizes the low level helicopter flying in southern California?

Sincerely,

JonathanSc1

I see there are some eccentrics who are new to the forum. My first house I lived in at NAS East was directly below the point in space where the fighter aircraft could relight their afterburners having ensured they were secured before reaching the field boundaries.

It would shake the whole house and rattle the windows.

Forget trying to hear anything on the television, radio or stereo for the next 5 or so minutes.

Even having a conversation was out of the question.

I personally loved the thunderous roar of the F-14 in full zone 5 afterburner.

It was the sound of freedom.

My next house at NAS East was in a neighborhood that the police helicopter used to love to come and visit and circle. Guess when they liked to do that ?

At night of course.

Bad guys hate the sunshine it seems.

I counted it as the neighborhood being kept safe by those who protect and serve.

I'm sure that if the complainers looked hard enough, they could find a silver lining in their situation somewhere.

Just imagine it's your favorite politician in the aircraft, and how honored you would be for them to compliment you by giving you the opportunity to pass below them at all hours of the night.

• Like 1

Hello,

Along with you, I am hearing low level helicopter flying. It is annoying in the neighborhood in Escondido from 2:10 am. to 2:38 in the morning on 15 July, 2014. I really want to know who authorizes these low level helicopter flights and they circle around about twelve times. It messes up people's sleep, not just mine. Who or what organization authorizes the low level helicopter flying in southern California?

Sincerely,

JonathanSc1

Jonathan,

This isn't the place where you are going to find a hard answer about what helicopter was flying over your house this morning at 0230. However chances are if it was orbiting, it was a law enforcement helicopter. Or.....It could have been an EMS helicopter looking for an LZ or it could have been a pilot coming in from a job and decided to orbit his house to let his wife know he would be home in an hour. My guess is that it was probably a law enforcement helicopter. But who knows without seeing it. As far as who authorizes it, there is really no agency that authorizes "low level" helicopter flying in So Cal. Regulations are established by the FAA but its not like there is anyone you have to call for permission to "fly low level". You live in a very densely populated, busy city..... its going to happen. Unfortunately, Escondido gets a lot of law enforcement and EMS aviation attention 24/7

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 1

Hello,

Sincerely,

JonathanSc1

MCAS Pendleton and NAS North Island are the vicinity and they don't fly at those altitudes in that area because of people just like you. It was more than likely EMS, Police, or another federal agency ensuring that your American life of unicorn farts, pixie dust, and sunshine is uninterrupted. Sorry for the inconvenience. It must have been terrifying. File a noise complaint with the FAA. Best you can hope for is a letter in the mail saying "We're sorry."

• Like 2

MCAS Pendleton and NAS North Island are the vicinity and they don't fly at those altitudes in that area because of people just like you. It was more than likely EMS, Police, or another federal agency ensuring that your American life of unicorn farts, pixie dust, and sunshine is uninterrupted. Sorry for the inconvenience. It must have been terrifying. File a noise complaint with the FAA. Best you can hope for is a letter in the mail saying "We're sorry."

Hello Hotdogs,

Thank you for your response and explanation. From what your saying and I was thinking, the low level helicopter flying was from the police looking for someone in the area. The noise is inconvenient, but they are giving us a protective service.

Sincerely,

JonathanSc1

Well at least Jonathan appears to be more of a concerned citizen that a tin foil hat wearer and he understands the missions, as for inconvenient? Well, the noise might be, but that is the price you pay for all the benefits rotary aviation brings to the plate. But we all get some kind of weird tingly feeling on this forum when we hear that kind of noise. It must be an acquired taste...