Helmet refinishing

Hedge36

I know I've seen a thread or two around here from folks who've refinished their Gentex helmets. I've just come into an SPH-5 to replace the -4 I've been using and it's certainly in need of a different color scheme.

Specifically I'm interested in stripping products/techniques against this shell's material. Any pointers?

Have you tried to Google "aviation helmet painting" or "aviation helmet customizing"? I know that there are all kinds of customizing schemes for motocross helmets. Maybe there is something for aviation helmets. I don't know how much, if any, difference exists between the two shells.

Many motorcycle shops do helmet painting. Get one that has experience in painting them. I have had good luck with the ones I have used. Just be sure to specify the type of paint. I had an aviation helmet company quote me a paint job, it was almost as much as a new helmet. I don't use mine enough to justify that.

Don't use a chemical stripper, just sand and scuff the old paint real well and then paint. I used a lacquer base coat and an imron clear and it hasn't chipped yet.

I concur. Scuffing with a scotchbrite pad or 800 grit sandpaper is best. Scuff until the sheen is gone and the paint is dull. Be sure to get in ALL the cracks. Remember; prepwork is 95% of the quality. You might even want to use a paint...aw crap, I forgot the product name. Anyhow, it's a primer that makes paint stick better, I used it on the plastic on my bike. It has adheard well.

An enamel or laquer is good, but the Imron...bulletproof.

I'm wantin'to paint mine also, but don't know what to paint on it. Maybe just stickers?

Later

I concur. Scuffing with a scotchbrite pad or 800 grit sandpaper is best. Scuff until the sheen is gone and the paint is dull. Be sure to get in ALL the cracks. Remember; prepwork is 95% of the quality. You might even want to use a paint...aw crap, I forgot the product name. Anyhow, it's a primer that makes paint stick better, I used it on the plastic on my bike. It has adheard well.

An enamel or laquer is good, but the Imron...bulletproof.

I'm wantin'to paint mine also, but don't know what to paint on it. Maybe just stickers?

Later

Hey Witch - thanks for the input, I remembered late last night that it was your thread I was looking for... I need to add a volume control for my CEPs too! Did you ever get a sat result on that?

You never ended up repainting that bucket? I thought you'd stripped it already.

Hey Witch - thanks for the input, I remembered late last night that it was your thread I was looking for... I need to add a volume control for my CEPs too! Did you ever get a sat result on that?

You never ended up repainting that bucket? I thought you'd stripped it already.

Aw hell yeah I got great results for the volume control. I'll post a picture and schematic here.

As for the hardhat, I'd like to get some vinyl stickers made; Marvin the Martian among others. That's after it gets painted of course.

Later

post-2940-1221865050_thumb.jpg

post-2940-1221865080_thumb.jpg

post-2940-1221865097_thumb.jpg

Edited by Witch

Dood, thanks!

That's a Radio Shack pot, yes?

Radio Shack has them, as well as other electronics stores. If you have any old broken electronics, you might find one there.

Remember, one wire goes to the center post and the other wire can go into either of the outer posts.

2KΩ linear taper pot.

Later