Military guy going civilian

Yikes

I will be getting out of the military early next year. I have over 2100 hrs in a CH47. I would like to fly in the GOM but I do not want to do it more then a couple of years. The 14 day schedule sounds good. I realize that I will be at the bottom of the totem pole and that is alright. Will my military flight time get me flying a AW139 or S76? The reason I would want to fly one of these airframes is that I understand that it is a good way to get into the corporate world. I am not really sure this is what I want to do i.e fly corporate. Right now I am just researching. I am considering maybe flying MEDEVAC but have heard some horror stories about the nurses telling you how to fly etc. Again the aforementioned is all from what I hear not from any experience and that is why I am here. Care to enlighten me?

With your time in a CH-47 I would be looking into Columbia Helicopters!! Heavy-lift, construction, fire type work.

Thank you I will look into it in more detail. It doesn't look like this will get me to the east coast north of VA though. I would like if possible to expand my options that is give myself opportunity to live in the NE. I do not mind paying my dues for a few years but continuing flying the 47, I think will not broaden my opportunities.

Again thanks for the site.

I will be getting out of the military early next year. I have over 2100 hrs in a CH47. I would like to fly in the GOM but I do not want to do it more then a couple of years. The 14 day schedule sounds good. I realize that I will be at the bottom of the totem pole and that is alright. Will my military flight time get me flying a AW139 or S76? The reason I would want to fly one of these airframes is that I understand that it is a good way to get into the corporate world. I am not really sure this is what I want to do i.e fly corporate. Right now I am just researching. I am considering maybe flying MEDEVAC but have heard some horror stories about the nurses telling you how to fly etc. Again the aforementioned is all from what I hear not from any experience and that is why I am here. Care to enlighten me?

Military time will help with your hiring but it probably won't help get into your desired airframe (AW139 & S-76). The way to get into the airframe is get a job with someone that has them and earn the right to fly them through gaining seniority. Like you said you'll start at the bottom of the totem pole and have to move up slowly through the civilian ranks ladder like everyone else.

Thank you I will look into it in more detail. It doesn't look like this will get me to the east coast north of VA though. I would like if possible to expand my options that is give myself opportunity to live in the NE. I do not mind paying my dues for a few years but continuing flying the 47, I think will not broaden my opportunities.

Again thanks for the site.

If you want the S-76 experience, give PHI a call. You can start out in the S-76 as an IFR SIC in the S-76A++/C+/C++ from day one as a new hire. You'll not only get the aircraft training (at Flight Safety) but you'll also get some good experience. I've gotten over 200 hours in about 6 months (as a new hire) and enjoy it. The training is the best in the GOM and the aircraft are brand new (the C++). The maint. is the best; however, the pay... If it's the aircraft experience you want, give 'em a call or go to www.phihelico.com and send an e-mail.

Good luck.

Yikes,

If you haven't been there yet, give APTAP-dot-org a shout also. Plenty of guys there that have been in your shoes and have helped me and others.

Good Luck

APTAP I have not been there in awhile but will definitely check it again. I thought is was strictly helicopter pilots trying to get into the fix wing world. Again I need to take another gander. Thanks

If you want the S-76 experience, give PHI a call. You can start out in the S-76 as an IFR SIC in the S-76A++/C+/C++ from day one as a new hire. You'll not only get the aircraft training (at Flight Safety) but you'll also get some good experience. I've gotten over 200 hours in about 6 months (as a new hire) and enjoy it. The training is the best in the GOM and the aircraft are brand new (the C++). The maint. is the best; however, the pay... If it's the aircraft experience you want, give 'em a call or go to www.phihelico.com and send an e-mail.

Good luck.

I heard good things about PHI on the MED side. It is too early to send a resume. Is there someone who would talk to me this far out? I saw there pay scale for 2006. Would you think with my time they would start me at a step 6. I guess that is what you call them. loav8r do you commute?Thanks for the help it is most welecome