School Review/ V.A. Benefits?

I'm currently serving overseas in the military but am looking into flight school when I return back to the states. I have two questions:

1. Does anyone have any information on Johnston Flying Services locates in Houma, Louisiana? It isn't listed on this website and I'm trying to find out as much as I can about them.

2. Has anyone reading this or do you know of anyone that has used V.A. benefits to help with financing flight training? I'm starting to get a headache trying to figure all the fineprint out about how much will actually be covered.

Thank you for your time.

SSG Jason Pratt

927th Engineer Company (Sappers)

Operation Enduring Freedom

Not familiar with Johnston.

It's been quite a while since I dinked around with the VA, but my recollection is that they'll only pay toward a Part 141 school. If anyone has information to the contrary I'd love to hear it before my bennies run out :D

The school must be 141 and V.A. approved and you must get the Private rating yourself, then the V.A. will reimburse 60% of each additional ratng up to your benifit total...$36,000 I think. I read somewhere that you may get to use Part 61 training if it is part of a degree program at a school but am not sure on that. I am doing training that started in April and my first claim was sent in July and I still haven't gotten my reimbusement payment yet. I heard it could take 3-4 months.

School has to be part 141, they pay %60, you have to have a second class medical, you need to have a private helicopter certificate already,(they won't pay for private), the link to find an approved school is http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/search_programs.htm

When you find a school and enroll they have to send in a 1999 with a copy of your medical and then monthly you verify flight time with a 6553c.

When I first looked into flying I looked at Johnston in Houma, because I was already working down on the Gulf on boats. This was almost two years ago, but if I remember correctly their professional pilot program was based on getting fixed wing ratings and helicopter add ons. He was promising Airplane Multi-Engine Land CFII and Helicopter CFII.

Yes the VA will reimburse up to 60% of all your training (post Private) at a VA approved 141 flight school. There are much larger, and more professional programs out there than the one at Johnston, look around for a while before you make the choice.