Nomex???

Witch

Man, I hope so, I hate working patrol with nothing to do. This is how I spent my Saturday morning...

http://www.crescentavalleyonline.com/artic...88076991799.txt

Sorry for the hijack, but I started wearing a bullet proof vest back before it was cool too....

Goldy

Goldy, glad you use a vest!

I read the artical and it reminded me of my drive home from AZ the other day. I was minding my own on the freeway when a fuel tanker passed me doing 80mph! I eventualy caught up to him cause he slowed down when he caught up to his fellow tanker ahead. I just thought to myself this guy could really cause a bad accident. I pulled behind him and took down his numbers. Then I passed him and he slowed way back down. Guess he got the idea.

OK back on topic! Flightsuits and helmets are cool! Carry-on.

holy crap, was that you?!

No, that was me directing traffic for 3 hours...the lady in the car somehow survived without major injury...I just wanted to make a point on safety gear...just never know when it might come in handy.

Goldy

Has anybody (other than Pilots working for Calfire/LA Co/etc) worn the yellow wildland nomex gear flying for recreation? Just curious and I am not trying to haze anybody either, just seeing if its fashionable yet?

Has anybody (other than Pilots working for Calfire/LA Co/etc) worn the yellow wildland nomex gear flying for recreation? Just curious and I am not trying to haze anybody either, just seeing if its fashionable yet?

Hey Roger ! Good to see you again on here...I know you were pretty busy there a month or so ago.

Anyway, wildland gear is still pretty bulky isn't it ??

Witch, great pics!! BTW, what helmet are you using if you don't mind me asking?

Don't mind at all. It's an SHP-4 I got from...aw crap, I forgot. Wait a sec... Flighthelmet.com

http://flighthelmet.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S...tegory_Code=HHX

I got mine a couple weeks before the price changed, saved $200.

The flightsuit I got from bdu.com http://www.bdu.com/nomex-flight-suits.html

DON'T ORDER FROM SNAPPY SUPPLY !!

I ordered one and it never came and I can't talk to anybody because they don't answer the phone or E-mail or anything else. They are a ripoff. Stay away...far away

Hey Goldy, I was confused at first as I read the article. I was thinking you were the guy driving the mixer and thinking he better not fly cement mixers. Don't ask. Anyhow, I got it sorted out that you were directing traffic after reading the other post. I was having a blond moment.

Later

Edited by Witch

I've worn a flight suit for 20 years and the only time I ever heard "poser" was from a few WO1's that "thought" they were pilots now that they were wearing flight suits. Quite a funny scenario. Flight suits dont bring any prestige or entitlements and ones that are worried about poser's are usually quite good for other laughs.

I could care less if Bubba wears a flight suit while riding his John Deere mower. Enjoy your jacket.

Goldy,

Wildland Gear comes in different weights, and styles (coveralls and two-piece sets). My older set of nomex was pretty light (I think 5oz weight versus 7-7.5 oz now for the new show-mex as we call it). But I do have to say I love the newer show-mex wildland jacket as its warm in the winter and hella warm in the summer. The new styles have a cotton inner liner for added arm protection during a the remote chance of a burn over, but you almost die from doing normal work its so hot.

I have been lurking, but haven't added much as its hard to do with being so damn busy. Waiting on Bristow to start a 141 instrument class, think they are waiting for some paperwork to get completed from the local FSDO, should be sometime soon.

I could care less if Bubba wears a flight suit while riding his John Deere mower. Enjoy your jacket.

Have you seen that commercial where a fighter pilot is on a riding mower? He has the full flight gear and helmet. I think it was a Toro commercial.

Later