Hey all. Many of you know me but haven't been around to much lately as this year has been tough.

Anyway, I am starting with an EMS company and will be using NVG's. For the most part it is this area of my training with the company that I am most looking forward to but also with caution. That's because it's such a new expierance.

I have a lot of questions about the NVG's. Any advice you guys can give me would be great.

How was your training process when you first started NVG training? What did you do? Was it really difficult?

Did you have a hard time with the depth perception or was this something that you got used to with just a few hourse of practice?

Really, anything you can offer I'll take. Thank you again,

JD

I found it difficult starting out, but yes you get used to it. You do have limited depth perception. Your scan HAS to increase big time, all while not trying to jerk your head around to make sure you don't make yourself spatial. if you only stare straight ahead, you won't see your rate of closure. I personally use about a 45 degree scan when I'm hovering, it gives you fore/aft left/right and up/down view without having to move your head too much. Not even mentioning that you only have a 40 degree field of view. In my opinion, the focusing proceedures are the most important. Flying is a perishable skill, but (again in my opinion) NVG flying is even more so.

With that being said, I love flying goggles. I just think it's cool as hell that you can be a pitch dark area and see just fine.

Is the company you are going to be flying for putting you thru an NVG program or are they just going to start flying you with NVG's at the company?

Enjoy it! CHAD

JD,

I'm currently working an EMS job with NVGs. My initial training was in the military and I echo FLHooker. The scan and initial setup are super important. Once you get used to them you will never want to fly at night again without them. Good luck with your training.

Fred

Add me to the list agreeing with 'FLHooker'.

If you have a headache after a short while flying goggles you focused them wrong and your eyes are screaming at you. A bad focusing job is the same as wearing another persons corrective eyeglasses. After a while your eyes will get tired of continuously compensating for the changed/improper lenses. A good demonstration would be putting your nose three inches from the computer screen and trying to read this post. The problem is that you are learning a new and intense skill and you won't be as aware of your eye strain until it manifests as bad headache. A slow step by step focus procedure when people aren't looking at you waiting to start the aircraft is the best way to start. Get it done early.

To echo the scanning issue: After flying goggle you will realize how much you move your eyes side to side in a given day of flying. Now you will be moving your whole head. A good way to get a feel is to take two empty toilet paper cardboard rolls and walk around the house with them up to your eyes.

And don't wrap the NVGs lanyard to your helmet! Bad no-no. Put it around your neck.

Good Luck, you will never look at unaided night the same.

Shortly after getting comfortable with the NVGs, you'll start to wonder why the FAA has been so slow in addressing them formally in the regs.

At what time and in what sercemstances do ems pilots use nvg . Arnt' landing areas lit by lights of vehicles on the ground . Dont' the lights on the ground wash out the nvg veiw bY being to bright ? Are all nvgs light inhancing or do they use UV goggles in ems . Can you see small thinds like wires with nvg ?

At what time and in what sercemstances do ems pilots use nvg . Arnt' landing areas lit by lights of vehicles on the ground . Dont' the lights on the ground wash out the nvg veiw bY being to bright ? Are all nvgs light inhancing or do they use UV goggles in ems . Can you see small thinds like wires with nvg ?

The latest Gen III goggles do pretty well in a partially illuminated area. I would never want to rely on some vehicle lights or other light source for an off-airport landing, when goggles are available. We use them over the city every night and as long as there is not intense direct light, they don't gain out like the older models did.

We live by them, once you use them, you won't go back.

While I haven't actualy used them yet I can tell you a few things that I have learned thus far.

Where I will be flying there are very few lights, just some small towns. Yes, landing areas are lit and are required to be. However, with the NVG's everything is enhanced including the area that is not lit. Also, by using the nightsun(spot light) to light up the area this will actualy provide enough light to see wires and power poles. That isn't a substitude though for a good recon and LZ preperation. All of these tools are used together to enhance overall safety.

I'll just add this. I never flew with any older models, just the ANVIS 9 pinnicles. The learning curve is very low. If you scan well(as stated by the other posters) the depth perception problem is slim to none. You could fly with confidence after just .5 hours. As soon as you start flying with them the limitations are obvious and the advantages are obvious. There are many illusions you will encounter, especially on dark cloudy nights, but if you proceed with caution and always pay attention you will love them. I don't know where you are flying, but keep your eyes peeled for the northern lights. And the shooting stars!

I must also repeat. You will really loose faith in the FAA's judgement after you see how good and beneficial they are.

Marc D.

• 3 weeks later...

I use my goggles for all night missions without regard to moon illumination. Unless there is a lot of red light, environmental lighting isn't too big a deal. A good scan with the searchlight is the best way to detect wires using goggle...that searchlight should be continuously panning back and forth during your LZ recon and approach to the LZ.

Mike,

Thanks for the advice. I passed my 135 and NVG ride. You are spot on, those spot lights make wires stand out. It was preached over and over to pan back and forth with the light in my training.