Which Way do I go?

Ok, here's one for you.

Even when I do not fly, I listen to the weather at the airport and check metars etc.

Today, the wind was coming from 190 and the runway (to take off) that I figured I would use (RWY 2--I think) would put me (and the helicopter) over the main buildings of the airport. I honestly do not recall seeing anyone ever fly from RWY 2 since I have been taking lessons.

The choices are RWY 10 RWY 28 and RWY 2 and RWY 20

Am I wrong in my thinking..that that is not a great idea???

If the winds are 190, and you have a Rwy 20 available, that's only 10 degrees of a crosswind. If you used Rwy 2 then you would have a tailwind on takeoff.

Remember that the winds are reported as coming from, where as the runway numbers are in relation the the runway heading. So landing on RWY20 you should have a heading of 200, if the winds are coming from 190 then they are pretty much blowing right down the pipe, only 10 degrees off.

What airport are you at?

Thanks for the correction...I almost knew that... the 2 and 20 mess me up :)

Now, if I was still going to fly over bldgs using that RWY... would I have to make a decision to do it or use a different RWY...?

new example; winds coming from 190 and I am using RWY 20 and there are bldgs close to that area "under my belly"...

I say that cause when We fly, the instructor tells me to fly away from the bldgs which we can do because we dont always use the RWYs, we land parallel

using PHF

Seems to me that if the runway is laid out the way it is, and buildings are close to it, but not directly under the flight path, or maybe they are under it but off airport and you'll have altitude by the time you get there, then going over them is not a legal or safe issue, sounds more like your instructor is trying to be courteous to people who may have mentioned the helicopters and how much louder and prolly frequently they fly over and your school is trying to accommodate them a bit for good P.R. We do the same up here for some houses that were built really close to our base to final leg long before the helicopter school was at the A.P. and since the pattern is non-standard, the planes never fly over these 2 houses, just heli's and so we try to not fly right over them.

I agree, it sounds more like a courtsey issue. Looking at photos of that airport and the diagram, it doesnt seem like anything is unsafe. As long as you have enough altitude, then just go over the buildings if you need to. Otherwise, it looks to me like you should be able to take off, and make a turn out before going over the buildings or causing any undue hazard. If you are talking about the buildings to the south east just past the end of the runway, then just continue straight ahead till you get a little more altitude. You should easily be high enough by the time you cross I-64 to do whatever you want.

Um...What's a runway?

Really, I'm avoiding runways like the plague. Usually, I come in midfield, cross 9-27, and onto the ramp. Takeoffs are usually from the taxiway or across midfield.

Other airports, there's usually only one runway, and little used. I follow the runways there, but at KCVO, staying out of the pattern of them aeroplanes is the number one rule.

Later.

Oh and another correction...rather major for those who are trying to help me..

PVG not PHF.. I live near PHF and check their weather etc too... I am stuck in another zone right now..

Sorry and thanks for everyone's help....

I am not this goofy in the real world

So this brings up an interesting question for me....

Never flown, still waiting to get my cash in order (since getting a loan is never going to happen) but have always wondered...

where is a good site to go to view airports, runway layouts and weather associated info?

thanks

adam

Yeppers, not there alot... due to work schedule etc. Are you familiar with Hpt Rds?

Yeah, I was at Ft Eustis all summer and tried to fly most Saturdays at PVG - R22's with Hampton Roads Helicopters. Are you talking the housing north of the airport? It's far enough away that it's not really a factor from a safety standpoint, but as a general practice you do want to avoid overflying houses for noise purposes. It can get a little tight when you're flying patterns to the numbers 28 parallel to 20, but it's doable. It is a fun little airport, isn't it?

Yeah, I was at Ft Eustis all summer and tried to fly most Saturdays at PVG - R22's with Hampton Roads Helicopters. Are you talking the housing north of the airport? It's far enough away that it's not really a factor from a safety standpoint, but as a general practice you do want to avoid overflying houses for noise purposes. It can get a little tight when you're flying patterns to the numbers 28 parallel to 20, but it's doable. It is a fun little airport, isn't it?

It is a wonderful place. Small enough to not be intimidating and everyone is extremely nice.

Thanks for the info (from everyone). Were you around when the tornado's hit the area... We flew the day after and got an aerial perspective of the damage...in that housing dev you mentioned.

I dont get to fly much..taking the long painful, only when you dont have to work approach to learning...so I get to fly maybe 3 times a month if I catch good weather each time.

So this brings up an interesting question for me....

Never flown, still waiting to get my cash in order (since getting a loan is never going to happen) but have always wondered...

where is a good site to go to view airports, runway layouts and weather associated info?

thanks

adam

Wait a sec, I'm getting that info fer ya...

Ok, here's the NACO website http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp

That'll getcha to the main page where you can choose airport diagrams and AFD's

Airport Diagrams http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp

AFD http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_afd

These are very helpful, and most important...FREE !!!!!!! Never buy another $4 AFD again.

There are also other free stuff for your enjoyment.

Almost forgot, I go to ADDS for weather http://aviationweather.gov

Explore that site, there're plenty of interesting pages that'll give you more information than you can digest. Break out the Pepto Bismol.

Later

Edited by Witch