Are you referring to the E6B plotter? Maybe I am a little confused but are you asking how to figure your coarse heading based upon wind direction, magnetic heading/deviation etc?

Here is the links to try:

http://www.asa2fly.com/files/support/E6B_Manual.pdf

This is a E6B simulator to compare what you come up with on your mechanical unit to am electronic one when playing around:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/e6bcalc.html

Detail in books is almost impossible.

The way to use it is to put the plotter onto the course line and move it so that the little hole on the protractor side is over a line of lattitude or longitude. The course is represented by the lat/lon line, and then the course is the number on the protractor that's over the line.

I'll see if I can get a photo for you detailing the whole thing.

Later

Thanks to everyone

Witch is on target of what I am trying to figure...

I am trying to determine heading. My problem is...my flight is north to south..I am using the inside readings on the plotter...but the inside stops at 150 (in one direction) and my flight is slightly off of that...so of course..I try to estimate by counting the notches on the outside circle and come within 1 degree of a digital computation from skyvector... But..being the person I am, I just dont think I am doing it right, it must be wrong if the reading is NOt on the inside circle plotter..I must be doing something wrong... and just be getting lucky...I can't believe that a lucky guess would bring me this close. The other flights I have been planning/plotting have been pretty much on target according to my instructor and my friend skyvector.com

I would agree with BFG 1deg. would be awesome more like 2\3 that's why you break track into segments with visual references if possible, and don't forget the gross error track check, in the first mile or so.

I have seen someone head off on the reciprocal on his first X country, good job CFI was on radio and suggested he went through his nav check again. :wub:

Personally I hate the giro, always creeping out of synch with mag compass.

Very rarely switch it on, still everyone to his own

Welll heck Rod, if you're within 1 degree, then you're spot on. Remember, this isn't nuclear science. This is where pilotage and dead reckoning come in. Fly the course, and every ten or so miles check for the checkpoints. As long as you can see the checkpoints, you'll reach your destination.

If you're operating in class A, then it's a different story. There you have someone telling you where to go.

Anyhow, I was going to post an illistration, but I can't seem to find my plotter. When I do, I'll PM ya or something.

Hey 500, I hate that DG too. Dang drift.

Later

Edited by Witch

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I found the plotter, so here's how to read and do the whole plotter thingy.

The first photo is of the chart. Yes, I call it a map every once in a while, it's my nature.

post-2940-1227920880_thumb.jpg

The second photo shows the course, True Course.

post-2940-1227920929_thumb.jpg

The third shows the line of Lattitude. This will show the line in which to read the course.

post-2940-1227920941_thumb.jpg

The fourth shows how to set the plotter. Put the hole in the center of the protractor over the intersection of the two lines.

post-2940-1227920952_thumb.jpg

The fifth shows where the line indicates the course. Remember to interpret the correct number for the course. In this case, 160* if flying from North to South, or 340* from South to North.

post-2940-1227920961_thumb.jpg

The sixth shows a course and a latitude reference line.

post-2940-1227920971_thumb.jpg

The last shows the reference line indicating the course. In this case 35* from South to North, or 215* North to South.

post-2940-1227920978_thumb.jpg

REMEMBER

You must add or subtract variation to obtain the course heading. Also remember to include the wind correction angle.

True Course (-L,+R)Wind Correction Angle = True Heading (-E,+W)Variation= Magnetic Heading (-E,+W)Deviation(compass)=Course Heading.

Like I said before, if the course is off by a couple of degrees, it's of little concern. Pilotage will allow you to recognise if you're off course, and how to correct.

Also remember: If you think you're lost, climb and call for assistance. You have a whole lot of people out there in the land of the radio that are more than willing to help or provide assistance. I'm sure a lot of people would prefer someone asking for assistance than having a hundred people looking for them. Costs less too.

Hope this gives you the information you requested. If you'd like more information, ask, or go to your local Library of Congress. The More you Know.

Later

Edited by Witch

:huh: Anybody know of any good websites that show the detail better then the books on using the plotter to determine heading?

The other submitters have done well in explaining the difficulty you are having and I would agree with them...Another tip if you will....

Should you end up where the plotter doesn't show the number you are looking for (ie...your plotter ran out of numbers at 150), just rotate the plotter 90 degrees so that you can get a number then just add/subtract that 90 degrees from your final number read from the plotter. Just keep tract of the general direction in your head so that you will know whether your answer is 210 or 120 or 300 as an example. Common sense will tell you which is correct.

Rotorrodent