FAA PPL(H) written test

Ello all,

Am a little confused, and wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

I've been going through the 581 questions in the FAA private pilot question bank, in prep for the written exam.

But, I notice that the actual test is coded PRH (Private pilot helicopter) - so my question is...

Is there a 'lesser' list of questions relevant to the PRH test rather than the whole lot - fixed wing an all?

Thanks in adv.

Mungos.

Unless I got your question wrong, there should be markings next to some of the questions that say something like Rotor or Fixed-wing or All (Or gyro.. I forget what else right off hand).. In like the ASA Prepware books.

Is that what you're asking?

Hope it helps.

If you look through the test prep books, you will see that some questions are marked "ALL" (applies to all categories of aircraft), some are marked "AIR" (airplanes), some "RTC" (rotorcraft) etc. There are also "LTA" and "GLI" for lighter than air and glider questions. You could be required to to answer any questions that are marked "ALL" or "RTC". Note that some questions may be marked as "AIR, RTC", so that would also be a question you might get in your test. Keep in mind that even the rotorcraft specific questions are often an adaptation of fixed wing material, so they may not represent "real world" rotorcraft scenarios. In every written exam, up to and including my CFII, I had some questions that really struck me as fixed wing questions.

I think there's approx the same amount. For questions relating to Principles of Flight , Aerodynamics and the handling of the aircraft, they substitute airplane specific questions for helicopter specific. The rest, like NAV and airspace and stuff like that is pretty much the same I think.

Edit, you guys got in ahead of me when I was typing! Damn iphone and it's slow word typing rate!!!!

I think there's approx the same amount. For questions relating to Principles of Flight , Aerodynamics and the handling of the aircraft, they substitute airplane specific questions for helicopter specific. The rest, like NAV and airspace and stuff like that is pretty much the same I think.

Edit, you guys got in ahead of me when I was typing! Damn iphone and it's slow word typing rate!!!!

Does that mean I win? What did I win?

...About 50,000 dollars should do it ;)

Buy the ASA Written Test Prepware DVDs. For $50/rating you get all the questions and same-as-the-real-thing practice tests (aircraft rating specific!!). Save each test immediately as a study session, reopen it under Saved Study Sessions and it either goes to the next question or gives you the correct answer and an explanation if you choose wrong. LAW OF PRIMACY, this way you don't remember the wrong answer! Keep doing that til you get in the 90s repeatedly, then go take the real thing. 3 tests per day for 2 wks is about what it seems to take. What's another $200 in DVDs when you're spending $50k+ on flight time...

I could not agree more with Heligirl, get the ASA prepware. I start by taking a practice test, it then gives you your total score and for each section. Then go in and study each section starting with your worst section. Like her I kept at it untill I was get over 90% each time. You will be amazed how fast you will improve and how quickly you can do the tests. I took my actual instrument and instrument instuctor tests in lass than an hour and scored 98% on both.

You're telling me! I came in second by 2 minutes?!

you can also use www.mywrittenexam.com to do practice tests - it's free.

I do like the ASA prepware software, though, for all the reasons mentioned.

The flight school I attended had computers set up with the ASA prepware so you could go in and take practice tests whenever you wanted - does your flight school not have something like this available to you?