Ship out of Lebanon, TN.

RagMan

• 2 weeks later...
Yes they both were recovered.. Services sunday 11/23 .. which happened to be his birthday.. :(

Very sad to hear. Any word on cause yet ?

Goldy

Chaz you are correct that it is usually put down to pilot error, but there is a reason for that.

The engine RPM read 100% at the moment of impact. The pilots seatbelt was fastened when they recovered the aircraft. The aircraft struck the water right side down in a nose low attitude.

He was flying at night over an area without adequate ground lighting. The engine was running and, barring a flight control failure, pilot error is the most likely scenario.

Chaz you are correct that it is usually put down to pilot error, but there is a reason for that.

The engine RPM read 100% at the moment of impact. The pilots seatbelt was fastened when they recovered the aircraft. The aircraft struck the water right side down in a nose low attitude.

He was flying at night over an area without adequate ground lighting. The engine was running and, barring a flight control failure, pilot error is the most likely scenario.

Sorry was in a bit of a mood .... Yea i seen 300 being pulled out and the engine started when tested .. Bob lived 3 miles from were they found him . He and his family have lived in that area for most of there lives. He had did the exact same route two days prior to the crash . There are more lighting threw there than ssome i have been over .. lol .. Point is there is more to the story.. you forgot his speed was over 118 knots ... and his altitude was 1200 in a abstructed area ..

He was a great guy and a freind . I dont agree with flying low and fast but . With the ducks and cranes in the area we never know what happened did he try to avoid a crane and get into a low g pushover?? hit something or just get vertigo and crash.. after being at there day in and day out searching for him walking the woods and searching the water in the cold . Wondering and discussing these very things with his family and friends .. sorry to ramble just a very bad time i guess. I have left lebanon now . owner was unable to continue with school after this tragic loss...

Nose low, to the right would be consistent with a low g pushover. The faster you fly a R22, the faster that low g condition can occur. I assume that speed was attained due to the attitude of the ship (nose down) and not that he was flying level at that speed ?

Regardless of the cause, it's a tragedy.

Goldy

Nose low, to the right would be consistent with a low g pushover. The faster you fly a R22, the faster that low g condition can occur. I assume that speed was attained due to the attitude of the ship (nose down) and not that he was flying level at that speed ?

Regardless of the cause, it's a tragedy.

Goldy

well The ship was a r44 raven1 .. Radar track showed normal 1200' msl 100knots then showed rapid acceleration and altitude loss with right turn... Till radar was lost..

ahh, bad assumption on my part on the 22. 100 knots in the 44 is a real sweet spot, and due to the added weight and stability of the 44, you don't hear about many low g accidents in them...they still happen, just not that often.

Hopefully the investigation will add some insight.

well this crash had lots of fall out .. it has closed and left me fianacialy bust. i will be lucky to get my private out of all this... i had to send my wife and kids home to rebuild our life. and i am working with another student from noble to try and atleast finish our ppl . I am trying to sell what i can so i can get my com and inst so maybe i can make it in the world of aviation . I have made a few friends in and can't even think about doing anything else other than fly helicopters. :( there needs to be emergency procedures for schools folding... i have learned never ever pay large blocks for training always pay as you go....

Real sad for family & friends of pilot.

Am confused by Chaz saying "seen the 300 being pulled out" then saying Raven1?.

PEOPLE DON'T PAY LARGE SUMS OF MONEY UP FRONT!!!!

I do know a person who deposited his full training budget in a bank account earning interest then agreed with the school to have a check book that had to have 2 signatures to release money with a written agreement that if the school closed went bankrupt or could not schedule flights within an agreed time, the result would be that the depositor could withdraw all remaining money.

Fiddly but worked OK the school was real good and he even finished with money left