Robinson Safety Course / Heli-Expo 2009

Well I signed myself up for the Robinson Safety Course for the first week of March. Shortly after that, I find out that Heli-Expo 2009 is the week before that, right over in Anaheim. Sure enough I figured out that I'll have just enough vacation days at work to extend my trip to include both!

So who else is going to Heli-Expo and/or the Safety Course starting March 2nd? For the people who have gone in previous years: Any recommendations on taking any of the courses they offer at Heli-Expo?

Is there any place around there that will rent out an R22? What kind of check out can be expected to rent one?

I was originally planning on staying the 4 nights in the Ramada near the factory, but for staying almost 2 weeks I think I may want something a little nicer. I'll have to figure out what I'm willing to spend on this trip and see what I can do.

Can't wait! :D

I gotta check the schedule, but I am going to do what ever it takes to get there this year(Heli-Expo that is).

Looking to rent an R-22 in the area? Helistream is the place to go. Top notch school. Jess can tell you more about them. Can't go wrong.

I plan on being at Heliexpo this year. All the courses are excellent. This year I plan on doing the CFI refresher. It is nice to be able to do a refresher course that is Helicopter specific. The mountain flying course is great, taught by the guys at CHC's training academy. And they do know mountain flying. The flying in a wire environment is also an excellent course.

I'll be there for 2 or 3 days..I fly all over the US to attend each year, couldn't miss one in my own back yard !

We'll definitely plan a VR get together...last year in Houston it ended up just being 3 of us..

Goldy

Thanks for the replies. A VR get together sounds good to me.

I was looking at the Weather for Helicopter Pilots course and the Flying in the Wire Environment course, unfortunately they overlap so I can't do both.

Jess, I'll definitely be sending you a PM in the near future about Helistream and hotels in the area!

I will attending the CFI refresher and I will be working the floor most of the time. My helicopter is going to be on display in the FLIR booth. Well that's the plan for now anyway. We definitely need to have a VR get together.

Well, I'll be here!

Right now, helistream is booming and it's quite busy (It usually is!). Unsure how easy it would be to rent a r22 right now. Hell, it's hard to get my instructor for a couple of hours every week! Glad to see it busy though, there's a ton of very talented people who work there. Pilot's and mechanic's alike. Had something happen a couple weeks ago, and literally 5 mechanics swarmed on the helicopter to fix it. It was nice to see that support then and there.

As for the heli expo, I'm going to try my hardest to get out there. I'd love a get together. The lady who really got me interested in flying helicopters (A lady who flew me on a helicopter tour in an MD500 in Hawaii) is heading out. I owe her dinner!

A little vr get togeher would be awesome! I got the chance to meet goldy a while back, and I got to meet EC120AV8R for a brief moment a little while ago as he was taking off and we were filling up. Eagle1 still eludes me!

Me Shakes Fist, you're welcome to pm or even give me a call anytime with a question. Hopefully i have an answer!

Hey Eagle 1 who made it "your" helicopter? If I get to fly it and you get to fly it, wouldn't it be "our" helicopter? I'm hoping to be there with our ship at least at some point. As long as Eagle 1 says I can go. He's the boss.

You answered your own question in your last sentence...... "I" made it "my" helicopter because I'm the boss... you only "get" to fly it because I "let" you fly it....

PS. Thanks for letting me borrow your trailer this weekend. We had a great time at Pismo. :)

I attended the safety course last year. We stayed at the Hampton Inn Hermosa beach. It's 5 min from the airport (by car) and has a view of the ocean (if you are in a high room). The hotel is across the street from a grocery store and several restarants, and walking distance from the beach :D . The rooms arn't too expensive and there is a free breakfast in the lobby :P .

You answered your own question in your last sentence...... "I" made it "my" helicopter because I'm the boss... you only "get" to fly it because I "let" you fly it....

PS. Thanks for letting me borrow your trailer this weekend. We had a great time at Pismo. :)

Now , now boys. If you are going to argue about the ship, I may have to take it off your hands (I think it will fit into the back of the H3 if I push hard enough!). Seriously, I think Dennis knows how to fire up a 120, so I wouldn't turn my back at the booth.

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

Now , now boys. If you are going to argue about the ship, I may have to take it off your hands (I think it will fit into the back of the H3 if I push hard enough!). Seriously, I think Dennis knows how to fire up a 120, so I wouldn't turn my back at the booth.

Goldy

No doubt! and i'm always in for some trouble making! One of the things i like best about the 120 is it's quick start up and get away. The shut down is also short and sweet.. you can be back in the hangar while the guys in the 300's and R44's are still waiting for the blades to stop!

There will be the usual gang from Rotors at the expo, about ten so far i think. I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible. One of the best parts of the Safety course was meeting every one.

dp

I plan on being at Heliexpo this year. All the courses are excellent. This year I plan on doing the CFI refresher. It is nice to be able to do a refresher course that is Helicopter specific. The mountain flying course is great, taught by the guys at CHC's training academy. And they do know mountain flying. The flying in a wire environment is also an excellent course.

Is registration for the courses separate from the registration for the conference?

Is registration for the courses separate from the registration for the conference?

Yes, you can sign up for different conferences (more $) or just walk the floor for $75 bucks or so...

• 1 month later...
Yes, you can sign up for different conferences (more $) or just walk the floor for $75 bucks or so...

I ended up getting into the Robbie course the week before HeliExpo, and signed up for a couple of HAI courses too. Looks like each course comes with a 1-day pass. Hope to meet up with some of you there.

--c

A bit off topic, but. . .

Myself and a friend from the same school will be at the safety course from 2/2/09 - 2/5/09. If anyone else will be there it would be great to meet up.

Thanks,

Kelly

We'll definitely plan a VR get together...last year in Houston it ended up just being 3 of us..

Goldy

I know a few of us at Twinair are definitely planning on going this year considering it's in our backyard as well this year.

A VR get together sounds awesome. Just have to make sure Goldy keeps us Twinairians updated. B)

Imake sure Goldy keeps us Twinairians updated. B)

Umm, maybe I wasnt telling you for a reason??

Sorry Alex, just messing with you. I was looking maybe at Sunday night since most flying in would be there ? Has to be either Sunday or Monday night.. I figured I could drink and you could drive !!!

Twinairian ?

Geez, now THATS a word ...but it sounds Greek, not Italian !

Goldy

Twinairian ?

Geez, now THATS a word ...but it sounds Greek, not Italian !

Goldy

HaHa your right it's not Italian enough. How about twinairaly...JK

I know a few of us just plan on taking work off during those days, so Sunday night or Monday night should be fine.

As far as drinking goes, I guess since I'm only 20 and legally cant drink yet, I guess I could be the designated driver.

Man it sucks only being 20.