Cost of Flight Training

On average I'd look to spend $60,000-$65,000. That should cover you for Pvt-CFII while doing the IFR and CFII in the R-44 and everything else in the R-22. Should also be able to cover check rides and some books. Cost varies by school.

What I can tell you is 200 hours is pretty typical. That being again from Pvt-CFII. If you are going to train in R-22s and R-44 and teach in them as well, you need 200 hours anyway. So that is what I would plan on.

Get the hourly rates from several schools and calculate it out. Add something for books, and 5 check rides. Use the dual rate only to be on the safe side even though you will solo some.

Sorry if this post is a duplicate, I lost my connection while posting my last reply.

My training cost a hair under $60k from zero to CFII. That includes everything - flight, ground, books, checkride fees, even my headset. I got done with 201 hours, and I have my SFAR 73 sign off for the R22 and the R44. There are certainly places that you could train for less, just as there are places that would cost you more. You have to weigh the training costs with other factors such as quality of training and convenience (would you have to relocate, can they train you on your schedule etc). Quality is critical. Remember that your initial training forms a foundation for your future career in aviation, so don't short change yourself by training somewhere that won't expect the same high standards from you that your future employers will. Best of luck !

Thank you so far for your input. I have done my research and have seen what schools post as a estimated cost. I was wondering what is the real world cost. Thanks again. I would like to hear more.

I would do as JD suggested above and calculate it yourself based on the hourly rates at the school you plan to attend. Don't just take a school's word for it if they just give you a bottom line without a breakdown of costs. Most people seem to get done pretty close to the 200 hour mark.

Most schools will quote low becuase they base it off FAA minimum training hours. That may work for airplanes but helicopter pilots often take longer than FAA minimums to finish. It's just the nature of the beast.

So, plan on 200 hours and find out what the hourly rate is for that school and break it down. Like I said I would use dual rate only to give a little buffer. Add in some for check rides and books. You won't be able to get an exact price but it'll be close. Just keep track of your account as you go a long.

There was something else I was going to say but forgot! I'll get back to you when I remember. :huh:

Cost also has a lot to do with you training schedule. I have streached my training out over 4 years and it has been more expensive than if I had done it in 2 years or less. I also fly the 44 more than the 22, so that adds to the cost.