EMS pilots - Tell me more please.

The white sheet is definitely the patient's feet. That's the way it works in a 206, and in many other small ships. At least they're covered, which is not always the case.

I suspect different companies, and in fact different bases for the same company, may have different rules. It depends a lot on the local management, and on the local situation. Running over to the hamburger place across the street might be feasible, but if it's a few miles away it's a different story. I haven't heard of prohibitions against family members, but then I don't know about every base for every company.

Edited by Gomer Pylot

Our company doesn't have any rules against "working out" while at work(running,pushups,ect). In fact my base is being overhauled. There will be a workout room there now.

Family can come as long as it doesn't bother others or become loud, ect. My family is going with me this week for Christmas since I will be working.

JD

Somebody I know flies EMS in TX.Not sure what base.I was told that during the shift they cant ride bicycles or scooters or play ball due to higher risk of injury and not ability to fly.Also leaving the base for even a minute without being relieved by another pilot is a big no no and leads to immediate termination.I dont even think that their famillies can be there unless they are just droping off food and such.

Does it mean that you guys work for somewhat usual or very unusual companies? Have you ever heard of such rules with another EMS provider?

What a crappy place to work!!

Like another said, that might be a base specific (local) thing. Some base managers get off by telling people exactly what they can and can't do. "Why you ask? Because I'm our boss and I said so." That kind of crap. Those people don't last very long because their entire crew quits.

That base or program must have had a problem with somebody's causing trouble. We had to make a rule of "no pets" long before the corporate one came out. A nurse used to bring her Doberman and leave it in the base. One morning they were out on a flight when the oncoming crew showed up, and the dog would not let them in the door. They sat outside for an hour until she came back and was able to calm him down. We had one part time guy that was allergic them as well.

We had float nurse that used to bring her two brat kids to work with her. She'd be on a 48hr shift and these two little jerks would stay the whole time. We'd go on flights and she'd leave these two kids alone--they'd go through all of our stuff and trash the place. She was transferring to another area, so we didn't make an issue out of it. She could have easily been fired for that. I surely wasn't going to put up with it any more--that one weekend was enough.

But like I said in a previous post, it's all about what your other two crew members are ok with. If everytime your family comes by, they get up and go to their room, you can figure they might not be cool with it. You have to live with these people, so if you upset them, be guaranteed, they'll make you're life a living hell to get even. And it's TWO med crew, against one pilot.

Thanks for your responses.

Here is the deal. Contacted my EMS pilot friend in TX and he told me why it is the way it is.

There was a despute between family member and one of the nurses.Week later there was anotherone between the nurses husband and same person.Police showed up later to get statements and I guess it is still ongoing.The same week,mechanic was taken to hospital (not by helicopter)with eye injury from playing around with waterguns.

My guess is, that was enough for whoever calls the shots there.Sounds like high school all over again.

We used to have a gym... We'll see how the move works out. Maybe it'll happen again.

Yeah, you can't leave the base under ordinary circumstances. This is an ambulance, after all.

No problems with family members visiting, we're a family place, in a business-like way. Some things have to be secured, so when we leave everybody goes- makes visits very brief.

One of the real problems in the industry is that we're co-ed and not everybody handles that well, family and on the job.

What are the living quarters like? I suppose a living room type area with tv and what not. A kitchen. Dining room? How many bedrooms? How many people to a bedroom? Bathrooms? What would you guess is the square footage?

How is the bedding handled? Is laundry on site?

There is typically 4 people on duty at all times? A pilot, two medics, and a mech?

Every bases varies.....kinda depends where you are. Some are shared with the local FD or ambulance, some in hospitals, some on airports, some in the middle of nowhere. I've worked in all kinds.

-At the ambulance/fire base, big living room, big kitchen, and you all share the same room and have bunks.

-The hospital setup (the worst), it's like an office building. We couldn't lock the door because of emergency exits, couldn't have an oven or stove, cleaning crews came in the middle of the night, had to park a half mile away, etc. It sucks.

-The old farm house coverted in to a base. Reminds me of my grandparent's place. For those of you not from the Midwest: Drafty, small rooms, flooding basements, and only ONE bathroom. The house "feel" is nice though.

-The big old hangar.....sucks. Has a nostalgic feeling, but the mice, bugs, heating/cooling issues, strange sounds, and all the stairs get old quick. Plenty of room to park your cars inside, rollerblade, etc though.

-The trailer. Most of our bases in our company are a standard 80x20 trailer. Living room, kitchen, dining, laundry all together, an office, a 1/2 bathroom, then a door leading to four bedrooms and a full bathroom. Then a hangar with plenty of room for all the medical supplies, spare parts, tools, exercise equip, etc.

Our trailer is much smaller though. We're landlocked on an airport, so we can't get anything bigger. Out living room, office, kitchen, dining area is all together. One big bedroom with a full bath, then two smaller bedrooms sharing a full bath. The hangar has an office/bedroom and full bath for our mechanic. We have a second hangar for storing a spare helicopter that is usually empty....so VIP pilot parking for my car.

I like being on an airport--especially a deserted one like ours. I have a 3000 ft runway all to myself. Easy to find at night and no worry about obstacles popping up without proper FAA oversight.

Can't add much to Delorean's reply.

I don't think many operators keep a mech on duty. One to a base, prone to call-ins to the other side of nowhere, outdoors, at oh-dark-thirty to get us back to base, carries a beeper when he's not at base, so mech off time is precious.

The latest EMS business rumor is that community-based (not hospital subsidized) are trending towards 'hospital affiliation'. We just did it, and it's a big compromise. Hover hole and trailer, hangar 10 minutes away.

Wally,

It does seem to be trending that way huh? My company has a number of bases which are at hospitals.

Lets just say duty quarters(base) vary a lot even with in the same company. Most popular are trailers. My base is the exception being we also own the FBO here. So we are located on the airport inside the FBO. That is why the quarters are so nice. It's a crowd though. Right now we have two helicopter bases here and a fixed wing base on the other side of the airport. They may consolidate all three bases to the same duty quarters when the construction is done. So, we'll have a big two story base but for 3 pilots, 3 medics and 3 nurses. I like it though. More people to hang out with.

Some companies make you live with in 1 hour of the base. In that case you will go home after shift every day. Some companies with remote bases will provide company housing for off shift rest. For me the company either rents or owns a standard 3 bed 2 bath house. We each have our own bed. Normaly won't see anyone else unless it's shift change and someone comes early or stays late. It's not bad. I wouldn't be able to work here with out company housing.

So, you can see conditions, both living and working, vary from company to company and even base to base. When you decide to get into EMS, visit some of the bases, talk to the crew and get a feel. It's better to be somewhere you want to be than not.

Let me add, Chris has some cool pictures! I am going to try to post one on here. Anyway, most light single helicopters will have the patient's feet riding shotgun. The exception is the Agusta A119(Koala). In fact I am told it's the only light single in which there is enough room in the back for the patient. So I have the front all to myself. I love it! Fast! Patient is in the back, less of a distraction.

Picture is me landing in the Imperial Dunes located East of Imperial,Ca. I know it looks like I am landing on the poor mother and daughter but I am actualy quite a ways away, on the far side of the trailer in the distant background.

IMG_0113copy.jpg

Edited by JDHelicopterPilot

:o WOW.

I was told that during the shift they cant ride bicycles or scooters or play ball due to higher risk of injury and not ability to fly.

Doh! I can't resist our smoth hangar floor... :D

Longboard-vi.jpg

Cruzin Chris: Awesome pic! Those slippers look like they have seen some miles... Let's just hope "the man" doesn't visit this forum... Ha!

-----

What is the typical procedure from when you get the call to when you get en route? And timeframe?

So, you get a call. Wake everyone up, check the METAR, write a flight plan (fuel calc), dress, load up, en route? How long until you are actually en route from when you get the call?

Once again, I want to thank you all for your candid responses. It is just fuel for the fire under my arse to keep working on my goals.

Thanks,

What is the typical procedure from when you get the call to when you get en route? And timeframe?

So, you get a call. Wake everyone up, check the METAR, write a flight plan (fuel calc), dress, load up, en route? How long until you are actually en route from when you get the call?

When you come on shift, you check the weather. If it's going to be clear all day and you won't need to check again before a flight, you put your status as "Green". Any flight request inside your service area will be accepted for you. If the weather is "iffy", thunderstorms are expected, wx is good in some areas & bad in others, you're on "Yellow" and you'll check before a flight. BTW, you can change the status at anytime.

With us, the pilot has their own computer, so you can leave all your weather open and on auto update. DUATS, ADDS, HEMS ADDS, radar, etc. will all update. I can make a decision in about 30 seconds. If it takes me any longer than a minute or two, it's marginal and I probably shouldn't be going. If it's a long flight or into an area you're not familiar with, it takes longer.

Fuel.....when you come on duty, you do your W&B taking into account how fat your med crew is that day, plus the normal fuel, to get the max patient weight. We leave our helicopter with about 2 hrs of fuel in it--sometime less in the summer. If we get a flight outside of our area, we'll pump whatever extra we need before we take off. With a light crew it doesn't matter--pump in as much as you want. However, don't do that until a flight comes in, because if you do that on your shift, and you don't fly, tomorrow's fat crew has to burn it off or have the mechanic pump it out.

Our policies say we should be in a flight suit all the time, but at my base, we don't put it on until we fly. Firemen don't walk around the firehouse in their gear and neither should we. It takes less than a minute to pull the jumpsuit on, then slip your boots or shoes on. It's a dumb policy to expect people to spend 12-24hrs in a one piece suit......they're uncomfortable, hot, and have a bunch of gear in the pockets. No matter how many times you wash it, it will smell like jet fuel and the med crew's suit will have patient goo on them. I wear 1-2 layers under mine this time of year, so I can't walk around inside with all that insulation on. Now, if you're on a hospital campus or in a public place, the higher ups will make you have that suit on when you're out of your base/office.

5 minutes is usually the goal.....from the time the phone or radio goes off until the time the skids are off the ground. That's for no wx check, no extra fuel, helicopter out of the hangar. Each of those adds a minute or two.

Preflight is done a shift change; setup the seat belts, radios, instruments, pedals, etc. Basically you get it setup so all you need to do is walk-around the aircraft, hop in, and fire it up.

So, for me it takes......

1-3 minutes to get the call, get a flight suit on, go to the bathroom, get the base locked up.

1-2 minute or two for a weather check, if needed.

2-3 minutes to get it out of the hangar and/or put extra fuel on, if needed.

1 minutes for a walk-around and startup checklist

2 minutes for start-up and warm-up

So, 5-10 minutes depending on what you need to do before the flight.

I just wanted to chime in and thank all you EMS pilots for posting all this info. It really is worth your time to type it all out. The information you have posted is a great help and of much interest to many more people than just those who are asking the questions! You probably remember being new to the industry yourselves, and having lots the questions - it's kind of daunting. So thank you for being so forthcoming and detailed with your responses!

No problem! I don't mind taking the time at all. I must say I wish I had known of sites like these when I was traininig. It is good that you and others are doing a lot of research into what you want to do.

Getting a call and what we do? Great question. For me it's something like this.

1: Pager goes off, at same time dispatch calls me on the Cell to give me details of request.

2: As I am on the phone getting details I am at the computer checking weather, scene location, changes in TFRs, print weight and balance/manifest(pre-filled out). I fly in an area that has 17 different Restricted areas which I may need to navigate into or land in so I have to consider that too. This all takes about 3 minutes from time of call to when I get my flight suit on and walk out. That is becuase I already checked weather(Green,Yellow,Red) for my area, weight and balance/manifest and TFRs when I came in to work.

3: I will then either accept or decline the flight. In my area we don't decline very offten.

4: Walk out, unplug helicopter, turn O2 on all as I do my final pre-start walk around.

5: Get in start up, call dispatch on Sat phone and tell them we are lifting and the ETA to location, as I wait for systems to come online. If first flight I run through my ground checks.

6: Take off!

We shoot for 5-7 minutes lift time. Works well. Most of my planning is done already anyway before the call comes. We don't rush out the door. It's very methodical and systematic in how I do it. This ensures I don't forget something. If my normal flow gets interupted I make sure to take that extra time to check everything again.

I hear voices telling me to go fly... sort of.

Actually, the entire crew carries handsets with them while on duty, a cross between a phone and a walkie-talkie. The dispatch request goes like this "(garbled noises) standby (or respond) to (more noise)"

"Hey, was that for us?" I key up, if the handset connects- which it doesn't in most of our quarters- "Dispatch, repeat your traffic'" We used to have discreet, distinct tones, made life a lot easier- but IT crapped that for us...

Anyhow, "Respond (or standby) to XYZ, weather permitting".

I have to check weather, although when it's clear blue and 22, it's pretty quick. If it's a serious weather check, I acknowledge and advise, "Checking weather for XYZ". You keep abreast of the weather in your area, so it only takes a few seconds to look for changes in what I believe is happening before I accept or decline dispatch. If it's out of the area or otherwise not routine, it might take a minute.

If I accept, "We're going to XYZ scene call (or intrafacility)". We're 'in the bag', flight suit, during business hours, 8 to 8. The med crew grabs drugs, I lock doors, and out we go.

Nights, when everybody else is in bed, the call comes via telephone. As soon as I know it's a request, I hit the intercom alarm to alert the crew while I confirm weather and accept dispatch.

A two minute walk to the pad, we aim to lift inside of 5 minutes days, 10 at night.

We plan our fuel around potential patient weight, 250 lbs off the base pad with a heavy crew. Usual crew weights mean we can lift 300 lbs or more and fly 1+30 or 1+45 with a half hour reserve. That covers 99% of flights, to the patient, the receiving facility and return to base. We don't carry more than that, even with a light crew- it's easier to add fuel than defuel. If I need more on a run, I'll get it while the patient is being delivered.

Flight planning is done 'pulling a string' on the wall map, or with a PDA. We try and keep current on fuel availability and keep that data on the PDA. Dispatch, other program pilots help when needed.

Weight and balance is on the PDA, too. For an Astar, the forward CG limit is the usual issue. I calculate the max on the stretcher as part of my preflight. There's very little I can change, maybe 40 lbs, by moving stuff.

It's pretty much the same for us. We have handheld radios, and a scanner on in the quarters, so we mostly keep up on what's happening, so we often know where the scene is before the call. Most flight planning is done in my head. I know the area, and I know how long it will take to get to the scene, more or less, and how long to get to a receiving hospital. I also know the hospitals in the area, and how long it takes to get to major receiving hospitals for transfers. We carry enough fuel for most trips, and I only start to think about that when we get something out of the ordinary. It's not possible to get our aircraft out of CG limits under normal operations, so I just do one calculation for the record at the start of the shift and then just worry about weights. When the tones go off, I do a quick weather check and accept or decline the flight. If you keep up on the weather conditions, it doesn't take long. I always do a more thorough check at night, though. I never hurry to the aircraft, but I don't waste time. It takes at least 3 minutes to strap in, get it cranked, and get ready for takeoff, so I think 5 minutes is mostly impossible, and I get off when I get off. The med crew plugs in the APU and unplugs it on my signal, moves it out of the way, and gets all their stuff ready, and I usually have to wait a few seconds for them to get in and get strapped down. Dispatch gives me a distance and heading to the scene on the initial call, but I usually ignore that. Many of the EMS programs around use preplanned LZs most of the time, and I can find those without any help. If it's a real scene, I'll get better location information enroute, so I just head in the general direction. As long as I get a town name and a general area from there, I can figure out a heading in my head, then find the emergency vehicles. It's easier at night, because all the flashing red lights are easy to see. Knowing the area is essential to efficient operations, because that makes the planning easy, and my flight planning takes seconds at the most, unless it's something way out of the area.

I just wanted to chime in and thank all you EMS pilots for posting all this info. It really is worth your time to type it all out.

Mostly likely, we are at work bored out of our minds..........and that's why we can/will take the time to type out every detail no matter how insignificant. Some can't take the down time.

It's easy to get stir crazy in the winter--especially the day shifts. I try to sleep as much of the eday away as I can. The first of the month is always a breath of fresh air because that when the new movies show up on HBO! Bourne Ultimatum rocks, but after about the 10th time this month, it's getting old.

Auxiliary Power Unit. Technically it's not one, just a portable battery pack plugged into AC power. We start on it instead of the battery when possible, to save battery wear, and help make sure the battery is ready for a start when needed. Some programs use stacks of car batteries on a cart, but those seem to be going away with the newer packs.

Delorean is right, we often have lots of time on our hands. It's not like we're busy every minute of the day or night.

Merely "bored' would be an improvement. Second day in a row of unflyable WX, 4th day of 6 this week...

I know from my time in the Gulf that I'll actually get used to this slack pace, doing nothing for days at a time, and when things get normal it'll take a flight or two to get the in the groove again.

Yeah, I'd complain if Carmen Electra showed up with a six-pack... what? domestic beer!?!