Jump to content

Military Conversion

Recommended Posts

Hello to all. I spent 8 years or so with the Army, flying UH-60's. Accrued some decent time, decided to fly for the Border Patrol. Unfortunately, that didn't work out (time in service means more than time in the air?) Anyway, I'm going to be working at getting my civilian rating(s). Heres the big bone headed part. I never got my civilian rating BEFORE I got out, which was in 1995. Talked to local FSDO, a few IP's, and came up with this:

My time in the military (from 759) is still use-able

I can use the time accrued to meet minimums required for different 'tickets'


Obviously, I need to get some real refresher training (both ground and air), but I shouldn't need to fly 40+ hours again.


What do yall think?




PS--by the way, great site!

Link to comment
Share on other sites



Welcome to the site... there is another site out there that actually lists out the DPE's for a certain area... now, some of them are also familiar with the Military Equivalency. He would be able to help you out with filling out the 8710 that will be required. I think that would be your best bet on getting it all converted over. You should only have to take the written tests to earn your ratings... Coming out of Rucker, that's all I had to do to get my Comm and Instrument tickets. As for the specific site, I appologize, i didn't save it. May I suggest a Google search for DE/DPE's in your area.





Link to comment
Share on other sites

61.73 Military pilots and former military pilots: special rules


Basically says that is you are on active duty or were with 12 months of application must pass a knowledge test (written) and have documetation of flight experence. Simply take the written and hand you a FAA commercial.


The bad news is that if you have been out for 12 plus months you will have to do the knowledge (written) and practical (flight) test. What I don't see is if you can go straight to commercial this way or if you would have to go private then commercial. All your hours would count so you would not need 40 hours, just 3 hours minimum with the instructor that signs you off within 60 days of your check ride. (3 hr for each rating). I would calll your local FSDO to figure out if you have to go private then commercial (I think you would). Note: if you do this in a Robinson you would need 10 hrs minimum to act as PIC for the checkride.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In 1982, the procedure required written and flight tests for both Private and Commercial. The FSDO concurred with 1HeliCFI's opinion. The good news is that you won't have to relearn anything, it's a brush-up and update process.

I took 5 years out of the cockpit when my son was born, and it took somewhere between 10-20 hrs stick time to feel at home again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I may be off base but I think the new 61.73 (coming out any time now) will remove the 1 year time requirement. This is something to look into as it could save a great amount of money and time. Anyone else read the new 61.73 h. that way?



I did some searching on the FAA website and found the copied text below. I don't know if the bolded text made it through like the CFI part did but it was in the NPRM. Contact John D. Lynch at the FAA for clearification.


"(41) Proposal to amend certain special rules affecting U.S. military pilots and former U.S. military pilots who apply for FAA pilot certification.


The FAA proposes to amend Sec. 61.73 by deleting the requirement under Sec. 61.73(B) that current and former pilots of the U.S. Armed Forces must be on active flying status within the past 12 months to qualify for a pilot certificate and rating under these special rules. Under this proposal, U.S. military pilots and former U.S. military pilots would qualify for their civilian pilot certificate and ratings on the basis of their past qualifications as a U.S. military pilot, completion of the military competency aeronautical knowledge test, and accomplishment of a flight review under existing Sec. 61.57.


The FAA proposes new Sec. 61.73(B)(2) to clarify that the aeronautical knowledge test that military pilots are required to take is the ``military competency'' aeronautical knowledge test."


Here is the link to what I found:

FAA NPRM For Part 61

Edited by BillyBob
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...