helmet refurb.

HeliHelvig

Check with helmet manufacturers regarding paints some can really screw up the lid.

I suppose anything is better than nothing GP even though you do not like helmets I presume this is a personal thing.

I'm not completely convinced that anything is better than nothing. A heavy object on the head which doesn't provide adequate impact protection may be more likely to cause injury. Anything which causes discomfort also causes some distraction, which can be dangerous by itself. My dislike is certainly personal, but I believe it has at least some basis in fact.

Hi GP did not think of weight was fixated on the impact resistance but can see where you are coming from.

There is a large difference in weights of the current helmets so the older ones would tend to be heavier.

Link to comparison of helmets.

http://www.helicopterhelmet.com/helicopter14_091.htm

Hi GP did not think of weight was fixated on the impact resistance but can see where you are coming from.

There is a large difference in weights of the current helmets so the older ones would tend to be heavier.

Link to comparison of helmets.

http://www.helicopterhelmet.com/helicopter14_091.htm

Thanks for the link - it's helpful to see the side by side comparisons like that. Sweet mercy those helmets are pricey... ouch...

Yep price hurts nearly as much as the blow to the head until it happens. :ph34r:

I do agree the prices for a composite moulding with padding bear no relation to cost of product

Nice paint job there. With the stripes, I was almost expecting to see a "53" on there also. You older guys'll get it. Looks better than the job I did on my bike.

Do you think if you had more time, you might have had a chance to develop a design and technique to make it look more like the designs on motorcycle helmets? Although bike helmets have more of a sharp-edgy kind of graphic that might not look well on a helicopter helmet, similar techniques can be used to create other graphics.

I was going to take my helmet to a shop to see if a vinyl wrap graphic might work on a spherical shaped object such as a helmet. I haven't done it yet because I keep forgettting to do so .

Later

Nice paint job there. With the stripes, I was almost expecting to see a "53" on there also. You older guys'll get it. Looks better than the job I did on my bike.

Do you think if you had more time, you might have had a chance to develop a design and technique to make it look more like the designs on motorcycle helmets? Although bike helmets have more of a sharp-edgy kind of graphic that might not look well on a helicopter helmet, similar techniques can be used to create other graphics.

I was going to take my helmet to a shop to see if a vinyl wrap graphic might work on a spherical shaped object such as a helmet. I haven't done it yet because I keep forgettting to do so .

Later

:D Herbie. That's funny stuff.

Keep an eye on your local Cycle Gear, they get some interesting decals in periodically that might trip your trigger.

I thought this was Herbie!

post-2940-1230699740_thumb.jpg

Hey Hedge, I'm sortof looking for some sci-fi graphics kinda. Nothing like Masterchief or Resident Evil, or that stupid sci-fi Above and Beyond, but more like Battlestar Galactica or Babylon 5. The pilots have some neat insignia that might look nice on a hard hat. NO HARLEY !!!!!!!!!

I thought this was Herbie!

Herbie__buddy_hackett.jpg

Hey Hedge, I'm sortof looking for some sci-fi graphics kinda. Nothing like Masterchief or Resident Evil, or that stupid sci-fi Above and Beyond, but more like Battlestar Galactica or Babylon 5. The pilots have some neat insignia that might look nice on a hard hat. NO HARLEY !!!!!!!!!

Oh, geez :D

http://www.complex-productions.com/bg/batt...ndramdecals.htm

• 2 months later...

So after a lot of deliberation I finally decided to bite the bullet and go with a brand new helmet instead of finishing refurbing my old one. I ordered the Alpha Eagle, which should by much more comfortable, lighter, and actually provide some protection.

Can I have your other helmet then...seeing as how you're not going to use it. :D

Can I have your other helmet then...seeing as how you're not going to use it. :D

Well I think it's just going to be a nice display piece in my room now. Since it was my grandfather's I don't think I could part with it. I do have an SPH-4 dual visor assembly and a Zetaliner that I'd be willing to part with though for some cash... :D