CBP is looking for a few good pilots

Goldy

You can follow the link to learn more, but Customs Border Patrol is advertising for pilots. Great opportunity for any military coming back home. You have until May I think to be a part of the hiring pool. Good luck to all,

http://federalgovernmentjobs.us/jobs/Aircr...ia-1396165.html

Goldy

Most federal law enforcement jobs, as well as firefighters and air traffic controllers are "covered" positions. There is a maximum age (usually 37) for hire because there is a mandatory retirement age (usually 57). Because we cannot serve as many years as other federal employees, our retirement plan is different.

If you want to learn more, you can google "6c retirement."

Most federal law enforcement jobs, as well as firefighters and air traffic controllers are "covered" positions. There is a maximum age (usually 37) for hire because there is a mandatory retirement age (usually 57). Because we cannot serve as many years as other federal employees, our retirement plan is different.

If you want to learn more, you can google "6c retirement."

Do they have a "waiver" that one could sign so tat one could work longer and thus a later retirement and maybe different retirement package or anything???

I'd LOVE to fly for the Gov. down along the border or some such thing, but I'm 40 in March and I don't stand a chance at getting 1000 hours by then. <_>

Sorry, there are no age waivers. I believe that CBP does waive the 1500 flight hour requirement down to 750, but since you have to enter on duty (EOD) before your 40th birthday, even if you had the flight hours, there's no way to go through the hiring process that quickly anyways.

FWIW, I did notice they are hiring Predator "pilots" and flight instructors too. Both positions go to GS-13 and are non-covered.

http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/getjob.asp?Jo...Search+for+Jobs

http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/getjob.asp?Jo...Search+for+Jobs

It has nothing to do with carrying a weapon (well, not directly).

Firefighters and Air Traffic Controllers don't carry weapons, yet they must retire at 57. There are also many non-covered federal jobs that require carrying a weapon. Customs inspectors, for example, carry guns yet do not retire until age 60.

The 6c retirement plan was basically created for federal employees who are exposed to high levels of stress and/or danger throughout their careers. It was intended to compensate for a reduced post-retirement life expectancy and also get employees off the street (or radar scopes) sooner due to the hightened chances of reduced performance caused by chronic stress.

palmfish is correct except there is an additional code site.

The older retirement system was CSRS Civil Service Retirement System, hired before Dec. 1985, the code site is 6c. Under the new retirement system FERS (Federal Employee Retirement System) hired after Dec. 1985, the code site is 12d.

The real difference between 6c/12d and the non is being able to retire at age 50 with 20 years service with a pretty good pension. In this day and time that is a great plus. Additionally, now you can go out and fly in another job all you want.

The reason for the change is the CSRS was considered a "better" (cost the govt. more) system so they changed it and invented the FERS.

The reasons palmfish stated are correct.

Linc: It is not a double standard because you are hired as a federal law enforcement officer and that is the job first and that job has the restrictions on age. The fact that you are using an aircraft as your transport vehicle or patrol vehicle is not considered. That is why you are hired and sent to the federal law enforcement training center first, if you do not complete it you are let go, as far as CBP is concerned.

Most other federal law enforcement agencies are similar or even more restrictive. Example, FBI, you must work the street as an agent for some years before bidding on becoming a pilot,, DEA the same,, Secret Service the same.

CBP is at least hiring you for a pilot slot with pilot requirements and teaching you to become a cop.

Hope this sheds some additional light on the subject.

edspilot - thanks for the expansion. All correct.

I didn't mention CSRS because there are very few remaining working LEO's still under the plan. My partner will be 60 in a few months (he's on his 3rd (and final) extension) and he's a FERS employee.

I didn't know about the 6c/12d change. We should point out that, just like a "Title III" investigation, the old term has become vernacular even though it's technically incorrect. People still commonly refer to the plan as 6C (and if you say 12d, they'll scratch their heads).