R22 down in Los Angeles

Goldy

No one is talking about this, no newspaper that I could find, not on TV, but an R22 made an emergency landing near the 91 freeway this morning. I got word that all on board were ok, they found a schoolyard and put it down for some reason.

Glad all are ok, maybe some news links will start appearing !!

( Hope it wasn't my R22 !)

Goldy

Any clue tail numbers, color, company of the 22?

Nope, I first got the call about 11 am yesterday, R22 was down near Downey off the 91 freeway. Then it was updated that it was down in a schoolyard, then it was learned it was an emergency landing (whatever that means...could be an auto, maybe not)...but then I heard emergency response was cancelled..no injuries.

Just couldnt find any info on it anywhere !

No hijacks allowed here !

Goldy

Heard it might have been a 22 out of LB, drive belt was messed up, and replaced. I believe it was a 22 out of LAH, that was from the LA Times today. Belt replaced, and ship flew back. Quick and easy!

Goldy....I'll call ya next week!

Rob

R91

Is this why its the 2nd greatest helicopter ever?

Some reason when a belt is new, within 100 hours or so, there seems to be a higher rate of failure. Otherwise they seem to get changed about 1000 hours of use....some last longer, some dont. If you read the SN you will find one regarding keeping the clutch engaged upon shutdown until a new belt gets seated in and stretched correctly...

Goldy

Some reason when a belt is new, within 100 hours or so, there seems to be a higher rate of failure. Otherwise they seem to get changed about 1000 hours of use....some last longer, some dont. If you read the SN you will find one regarding keeping the clutch engaged upon shutdown until a new belt gets seated in and stretched correctly...

Goldy

Goldy, that is right. We had an R-22 that came out of overhaul and the belt failed just as the helicopter came to a hover after a normal approach to the pads at LGB. It was replaced and I was the only pilot who was willing to fly it again. I put 8 hours on that new belt, 3 which was just in a hover(that is another story).

I then decided to do one last flight and was enroute to CNO for some parts. As I turned East on the 91 the clutch light came on for a second then went out. After it came on again for a brief second I landed at FUL since I was right there then. Opened up the cowl and the belt had already started to fail. You could see the black dust all over the inside from the belt.

That's the closest I've come to a drivetrain/engine failure. The Mech said 5-10 more minutes it would have failed completly.

Not sure why this happens but after 10-15 hours if the belt hasn't failed it likely not to. Before that, there is a good chance.

JD