Air vs Ground

coloheli

I am coming to the end of my Private. I am wondering if it is possible to get the writtens for Ins. and Com. done while waiting for money to become available to continue flying. If so also does any one know how that would work with a 141 school. Would I be able to log just the ground requirements that the 141 requires. Obviously there would be a need for some additional ground once I am up and flying.

I am coming to the end of my Private. I am wondering if it is possible to get the writtens for Ins. and Com. done while waiting for money to become available to continue flying. If so also does any one know how that would work with a 141 school. Would I be able to log just the ground requirements that the 141 requires. Obviously there would be a need for some additional ground once I am up and flying.

Under 141, depending on the school's approved program, you might have to attend organized ground schools prior to taking the written exams. There is no requirement that I have found that requires you to start the program prior to taking the written exams. Keep in mind that the writtens are only good for 24 months after taking them. So I wouldn't jump the gun too much.

Part 141 is set up to maintain an organized learning pattern by the use of the building blocks method. So ground training is part of that program. However, it does not prevent you from taking the writtens early, so you can concentrate on the flying.

Rick is correct, however, most 141 schools also have their programs written so if you enroll and have passed the test the ground requirement is eliminated. This doesn't mean you won't need ground, just that it wouldn't be required by the syllabus.

I have not seen that. Some may be that way... But most likely he will still need X amount of ground instruction, and the quizzes involved in the syllabus.

But he still can take the written with a sign-off. He just may have to do the other stuff no matter what if he needs 141 for VA benefits or something

I have not seen that. Some may be that way... But most likely he will still need X amount of ground instruction, and the quizzes involved in the syllabus.

But he still can take the written with a sign-off. He just may have to do the other stuff no matter what if he needs 141 for VA benefits or something

Your right, some do and some don't. It just depends on how the school writes their syllabus.

So is it possible to go through the required ground for 141 and passing their exams for all of their requirements before you actually fly or is it a kind of all or none with the 141. Sounds to me this might be a redundant idea. Self study would be best until going thru the 141 course. Thanks

It depends on how the schools syllabus is written. And ultimately you need to ask the school you will be attending. Since we don't know where that is, we can't give you a definite answer to your question. In fact, even if we did know we probably couldn't answer.

At the school I worked at you could do the ground, then fly. You could fly and do the ground. Or you can take the test, and eliminate the ground requirement.