PPL direct to ATP?

I have a student who is a high time turbine fixed wing pilot. 22k hours in 757s and such. He holds ATP obviously for his job as a airline captain. He just got his private add on in rotorcraft..

My question is, can this student go directly to his ATP add on or does he need to go through the CPL add on route first?

I know it is probably a dumb question, however the FARS aren’t clear on this and actually the way they read he might just be able to take his ATP check ride without CPL.. But it just doesn’t seem right.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

Edited by TscottN

I have a student who is a high time turbine fixed wing pilot. 22k hours in 757s and such. He holds ATP obviously for his job as a airline captain. He just got his private add on in rotorcraft..

My question is, can this student go directly to his ATP add on or does he need to go through the CPL add on route first?

I know it is probably a dumb question, however the FARS aren’t clear on this and actually the way they read he might just be able to take his ATP check ride without CPL.. But it just doesn’t seem right.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

The way the regs are written, it would be my opinion, he wouldn't have to get his Commercial RW as he already has an ATP. It would just be an add-on rating. He would have to meet all the time requirements for the ATP in regards to helicopters. The ATP is primarily an instrument ride. However, I believe the examiner would require him to do the commercial maneuvers also. But what would be the point. He would be much better off doing the Commercial and then combining the ATP and instrument ratings at the same time.

I had a Canadian pilot with CAA ATP heli and FAA PPL heli call me about getting FAA CPL heli. After checking the FAR's and talking to our DPE we figured out he can go straight to FAA ATP, he will need to do written, and checkride. I don't know why a local FAA PPL heli and ATP (fixed wing) would be any different if flight requirements were met.