Endorsement Clarification

I will be working with a pilot to get his Private RH add-on. He's already an ATP FW. As I read over part 61, and AC 61-65E about endorsements, and specifically the student sign-offs, like for solo flight at __ airport, pre-solo knowledge/flight tests, etc. they refer to the "student" pilot. This guy is already an airline captain but doesn't yet have a helicopter rating.

Can someone explain this to me, and/or point me to the text that clarifies which endorsements are required under this condition?

Thanks

You need to endorse under 61.31(d)(3) for add on solo.

Add-On PIC Solo Endorsement

I certify that _____________________________ has received the training as required by 61.31(d)(3) to serve as PIC in _________________________. I have determined that he/she is prepared to serve as PIC in the ______________________. Expires_______________. Limitations are as follows;

Visibility Ceiling Winds/Gust

Name Signature Date CFI Exp.

For practical, they will not need to do a written written exam. Don't forget SFAR is in a Robbie

Add-On Practical Exam

I certify that _________________________________ has received the required training for an additional Rotorcraft Helicopter Rating. I have determined that he/she is prepared for the ________________________ practical test for the addition of a Rotorcraft Helicopter Rating.

Name Signature Date CFI Exp

As I understand it, as long as they are not in a Robbie that should be all they need. I have screwed this up before. All the 61.93 solo croos country stuff is for STUDENT Pilots not a rated pilot. My DPE got a kick out of me endorsing a private pilot for solo XC. If in a Robbie be sure to give SFAR 73 Awareness training and endosment for it.

Always hate to see CFI's including alot of restrictions for the add-on...ie ceiling/vis...

Wind I can understand as a new helicopter pilot may not be ready for much. Of course it's your ticket but hopefully they know how to operate safety already... you've just taught them the new control movements.

Edited by apiaguy

This one got me as well. The first two students that I endorsed to solo were high time ATP jet pilots (one for a major airline) and I gave them all of the student pilot endorsements before I carefully sat down and read 61 again because it just didn't seem right to me. Now we all know... Great question!