Join the military?

dolphindriver, as far as the holds go, I'm just figuring things out. I just got here in November. It seems like they are getting rid of a lot of them. They are trying to move them all to the front so there are less breaks in training. It seems like the longest hold for most people, though, is after aircraft selection. I've heard of an additional 6 months just there.

Blake

I have a couple of prior commissioned officers in my class but neither of them were aviation prior to becoming warrant officers. One was infantry and the other was intel. I can't say what the norm is or anything as I'm new to Army aviation, this is just what I see. Hope it helps.

Your WOCS class you mean? Commissioned AV officers don't go to WOCS. They just become WO1, or CWO2 if they've been a MAJ for a couple years. I don't know the exact details, just that there's a lot of them around. We also branch transfer a VERY VERY FEW commissioned officers over in grade, but not many. Mostly we push them to accept WO. Our FSO is a FA CPT taking an AFAST and may go that route.

I believe I said my base of experience is guard focused, with halfway decent understanding of reserve, but just incidental knowledge of how active duty works it.

dnall,

Don't know how I missed your post previous to my last. Perhaps I would've phrased it differently, but it is a trend that I have even noticed in my own posts here. Making it clear where our experience is from in giving our answers can help, not for segregation but to provide clearer answers and avoid the appearance of simply contradicting opinions.

Your WOCS class you mean? Commissioned AV officers don't go to WOCS. They just become WO1, or CWO2 if they've been a MAJ for a couple years. I don't know the exact details, just that there's a lot of them around. We also branch transfer a VERY VERY FEW commissioned officers over in grade, but not many. Mostly we push them to accept WO. Our FSO is a FA CPT taking an AFAST and may go that route.

dnall,

I meant my flight school class. Sorry. Should have been more clear.

Blake

^ The overwhelming majority of WOs that used to be commissioned are already pilots. They wouldn't be at flight school at all. They're just trading in their commission for WO cause they're dead-end on the commissioned side and want to get back to focus on the flying. It's a MUCH rarer case to see a commissioned officer from another branch who resigns to take an AV WO slot, but it happens. I'm sorry, I guess I'm just not being very clear about this. We just have so many of these guys & it works out so well as a career path that it seems intuitive to me.

dnall,

Don't know how I missed your post previous to my last. Perhaps I would've phrased it differently, but it is a trend that I have even noticed in my own posts here. Making it clear where our experience is from in giving our answers can help, not for segregation but to provide clearer answers and avoid the appearance of simply contradicting opinions.

That's prob that weird mod review before the post goes in thing. No worries though. The guard/reserve/active each do things so differently, it's very fair to know which one we're talking about at the time.