Instrument add on

Does anyone know when you are doing a instrument helicopter add on, if there is a short written to take. It says in part 61 of the FAR's a written is not required. My examiner is unsure and is checking. I guess years ago it was required. I hope some of you have been through this and will have the answer.

Thanks

Does anyone know when you are doing a instrument helicopter add on, if there is a short written to take. It says in part 61 of the FAR's a written is not required. My examiner is unsure and is checking. I guess years ago it was required. I hope some of you have been through this and will have the answer.

Thanks

The written is not required for the add-on. The only requirements are:

- 15 hours of instrument (simulated or actual) dual-received in category [14 CFR 61.65(d)(2)(i)]

- 1 IFR cross-country in category (see FAR for details) [14 CFR 61.65(d)(2)(iv)]

- 3 hours in preparation for exam within 60 days [14 CFR 61.65(d)(2)(ii)]

61.191 (a ) which sends you back to 61.183 (f ) which sends you to 61.185 (a ) (2 ) or (a )(3 ). :huh:

or you can go here FAA Tests http://www.catstest.com/html/applicants/faa/

Fly Safe

Clark B)

Ok but why wouldn't 61.63 ((5) apply when getting an add-on?

It does...61.63 applies to recreational, private and commercial ratings on the “pilot certificate”. That’s why there are no knowledge tests for an add-on rating….to a “pilot certificate”, and 61.65 (7 ) covers the knowledge test on the instrument add-on. The flight instructor is a separate “certificate” (61.181) and has its own set of requirements (different than those under part 61.63).

At least that’s the way I understand it. If your DPE or FSDO has a different understanding, then by all means go with what they say.

Fly Safe

Clark B)