GPS-Which one

Any of the Garmin x96 series will work, with functionality and price increasing with the first number. We have a 396 installed, and it's great. It can operate in aviation, marine, or automotive mode, and has the databases installed, I think. I haven't actually tried the automobile mode, but the manual says it works. You can subscribe to Jepp terrain and aviation databases, and get Bitchin' Betty talking to you. She gets really excited when you try to land. You can also get XM audio and almost real-time weather graphics overlaid on the display with a subscription. But if all you want is street routing, you can get that a lot cheaper with any of the standalone units. I've seen TomTom and a couple of other units on sale for less than $100, with full mapping capability and voice directions. You don't get all the bells and whistles for that, but it's a lot less than the Garmin aviation units will set ygu back. If it's city money, I guess it doesn't matter, in which case I would recommend a Garmin 496, or at least a 396. If it's your money, the cheap car models will work. They come with mounts which can be adapted, usually a suction mount, but power might be a problem. The Garmin x96 can be powered from the aircraft 24V system.

Maybe a Garmin 196,296,396, or 496, I'm not sure if they have street maps though. If you only want street names, I'd just pop in a Garmin 200w from Wal-mart...

Any luck on getting your own ship?

We are going to continue for one more year renting from a school. If everything goes as planned by the end of 2009 I'll have my commercial & around 500TT and some long line time. Then maybe we'll try a little harder at getting our own.

For our air ambulances we use Tom-Toms to compliment the Garmin 530. The medics get the street address and punch it into the TomTom to give the lat and long, then we put that into the 530. Took some getting used to, but now we can get the coordinates into the Garmin in about a minute vs digging thru about 10 road map books enroute. Eliminated a ton of the workload in the cockpit for us. The TomToms work great and like Gomer pointed out they are dirt cheap.

• 4 weeks later...
We use a Garmin Nuvi when flying our R44 for the news. It has an offroad mode that will keep it from giving you turn by turn directions as you fly over the streets. Give it a shot...

I have a garmin Nuvi 200 and saw the offroad setting and wondered if anyone had used one in flight. I did a simulated flight and it showed the roads and other land marks.I figured if you knew the street address of the airport,it would get ya close enough to see it in flight. I planned to try it in my Gyrocopter.

cool to see it works.

I have not learned how to program in the lat. and long. yet.

thanks for the info.