Future Helicopter Pilot Needs Advice!

Hello Friends -

I'm located in Gainesville, Florida, 42 years old, semi-retired and looking for a credible learning institution to fly Helicopters. I'm not looking to fly for a living, rather to try something new, and perhaps a passion might develop.

And I might entertain the idea of buying my own Helicopter.

Fyi- I paid for a 'guest ride' with Tropical Helicopters last week, a Switzer (sp) model.

Anyway, it's great to be a member here, and this seems like the best Forum on Helicopters.

A few questions...

1. How much is a high performance used turbine Helicopter? Any Links?

2. Where is the best and quickest way to get licensed?

3. What area of the US is best for Helicopter enthusiasts?

Any advice, feedback or comments appreciated in advance.

Thanks Again. ;-)

Ray

1. How much is a high performance used turbine model?

3. What area of the US is best for Helicopter enthusiast?

1. Anywhere from $300k to $2 million. But that's the cheap part, maintenance and insurance will break ya!

2. No place is the "best", as far as time it just depends how fast you pick it up. Some people can get their private in less then 2 months, others 6 months. Also depends on how many days a week you fly.

3. I think the west coast has the most helicopter activity... :D

Hi,

You have several good options close to you..

links:

Tomlinson Aviation around Ormond Beach

Travel Air around Ocala

Air Orlando in Orlando

and of course Tropical.

Travel Air is new, so I have not heard anything about them. All the others, I have heard good things about.

I think Bristow might not be a good place to just get your private because they are pretty busy.

Good Luck and Welcome, come back often....

Best to just go and visit the schools, take an intro flight like you did at Tropical. I did my time with Tomlinson, so I'm a little partial towards them. They would probably be a good fit for what you are looking to do. But It comes down to where you are most comfortable.

Just take warning.....Helicopters are very addictive......your life will never be the same after the bug bites ya ;)

Fly Safe

Clark B)

A few questions...

1. How much is a high performance used turbine Helicopter? Any Links?

3. What area of the US is best for Helicopter enthusiasts?

Ray- Most here would not recommend that you jump out and get your own turbine ship...regardless of your finances. If you wanted your first boat, I would probably suggest that you not go get a 95 footer and try to captain it yourself....even though you can legally. Same thing here, find a nice piston ship, a 44, a 300, a 28F and train in it and get your ticket. Once you get a few hundred hours, you can make a more educated decision.

Any school can get you a certificate. What you want is someone trust worthy, with quality well maintained ships, with quality instruction.

Anywhere that weather is good, helicopters are flying. So that leaves a lot of the North, Northeast, and Northwest in the cold snow, rain and fog.

Florida and So Cal and the Gulf have a lot of helo traffic.

If you really want a great opportunity to get a look at the helo industry, the largest trade show is coming up in February in Anaheim, sponsored by HAI...check out www.rotor.com

Good Luck,

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

Future Heli Pilot,

Check your messages, I sent you one.

Any recommendations on learning centers in Los Angeles? Superman, I'm checking out Tomlinson next week.

Thanks

Only a couple I like in LA. LAH in Long Beach, Western in Ontario both have solid reputations. I fly out of TwinAir which just moved to Camarillo. They have long line training in a 44, regular training in a 22, a sim, and if you like antiques you can fly a 47 there.

LAH is all 22/44 last time I was there, and Western flies a 300/500...or some variation of those ships and also teaches long line.

Any more advice, and these schools would have to pay for advertising !

Goldy

The Golden boy is wise, we know that, but this is one of his best pieces of advice...

For example, Rotors has a very sexy $2mil EC120 turbine, but on warm days at our altitude the R44s will out perform it, and you can buy four of them for the price of the 120! That being said, i love flying the 120, but when you weigh all the particulars, the 44 is king in my book.

Dennis= thanks for the kind words...what I really need to find is an EC130 with the spool up responsiveness of a piston (to make up for my poor flying techniques) and the sound of a Bell 47....ahh...heaven.

Goldy