Check-Ride Passed

It is with great pleasure that I now present to you a newly licensed rotor-craft pilot. Okay, next on my list is to start my Commercial/Instrument in Fixed Wing and do the Rotor Add-On with them as well. Thanks to all who have shared their stories and advice.

Well done! It's a great, and weird, feeling huh?!

Just wait until you take someone other than your instructor up flying for the first time! I remember being suddenly very aware that I was the only one in the aircraft that could do anything to save us if a problem occurred. I was used to that sense of security you get having your instructor beside you! At least I hope you have that much confidence in your instructor. ;)

Way to go! Did you have any interesting moments during your ride?

Nothing dangerous. The most interesting part was the maneuvers we did in a local field nearby that was in a CLOSED PARK with no one around. Did a steep approach over trees onto a basketball court with goals on each end. Then did some 90 degree turns inside the goals and some back and forth hovering. Did a steep approach to a confined area over a set of power lines. Always cross the lines over top of the poles. I knew that but forgot and noticed the top wire at the last moment. Luckily I was high enough and it was not an issue. Sooooo much more realistic than flying the same old pattern at the airport.

Oh yeah, we did settling with power at 500' agl when I was trained on them at around 1000' agl. The ground comes fast. It little different but much more realistic and fun.

The oral was only about 30 minutes. Hint for those in training. Get most of the first answers right and the oral goes much quicker. My DPE was very practical on the oral and kept most questions in regards to the aircraft I was flying and emergency procedures. I was bummed that he never asked many any airspace questions or what "isobars" were. I guess since it was an add-on rating he didn't feel the need to hammer me on some of the non-essential stuff.

Congrats! I spent so much time studying for the check-ride, after I passed, I went home and took a nap :lol: . You going to get the instrument?

Starting commercial/instrument fixed wing in Jan and will just do the rotor add-on like I did for this rating. Much cheaper going that route. I fly fixed wing back and forth to the beach and need that instrument for when I plan on staying for a week or more at a time. The helicopter rating is for my work in the hopes that I get selected when they open the process. You got to have your rotor-craft rating to be eligible to fly the chopper for our police department. Now I get to enjoy the best of both worlds. High and Fast/Slow and Low............

Congrats!

Greg is a great pilot and I really learned a lot from my check-ride with him. I've heard from others that he's examined who've had the same experience.

Once again, congratulations!!

Kelly

Greg Hudson from Asheboro. Retired USAir Captain. DPE in Helicopter/Airplane. Super guy that knows a ton no matter what you are in from an Airbus 320 to a R-22.....

Super guy, he definitely is. I learned a few things on my checkride that will stick with me for life. I hope he can do my commercial and CFI rides too.

It is with great pleasure that I now present to you a newly licensed rotor-craft pilot. Okay, next on my list is to start my Commercial/Instrument in Fixed Wing and do the Rotor Add-On with them as well. Thanks to all who have shared their stories and advice.

Congratulations! Feels Great eh? Do you find yourself going around your home mentally doing setdowns! If so, your hooked.

Rotorrodent