Navajo Tribal Park

slick1537

Does anyone have the photo of the r22 they show on the pinnacle at Navajo Tribal Park from the Robinson factory course? They land on tall needle shaped rock hundreds of feet in the air. It was an incredible photo and I cannot find it anywhere on the internet.

I've seen the photo, probably have a copy of it buried on some disk. I know it was taken in Monument Valley...not sure where Navajo tribal park is, so I cant relate the two....I will try to post the photo if I come across it.

I believe navajo tribal park and monument valley are one in the same.

Could be, I' aint from around there......If I remember the story right, it was 2 R22's out on a cross country, one landed for the photo opp but was afraid to shut down, he kept the rotors turning and his hand on the collective just in case !!

Edited by Goldy

Goldy has a good memory.

To give credit where it's due, Mitch Horton (now flies in Alaska, and he owns the copyright) photographed pilot Juan Serrano alighting atop the Yei Bichei totem pole back in the 1980's. Juan had enough pitch pulled "so he could remain hovering in case the spire collapsed under him", and indeed another, closer-up photo seen in a Robinson Helicopter Tech Rep office reveals noticable main rotor coning. Note the snowy plateau in the background; top of the spire is, at least according to GoogleEarth, 5587 feet MSL, so with an O-320-powered R22 one would want denalt as low as possible.

Map coordinates are 36.928968N 110.047688W , but don't even think of recreating the event.

Fly safely.

(subject photo attached, unusual paint job was typical livery for operator Arizona Wing & Rotor)

post-6163-1231526021_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

.... What's the ruling on landing nearby for the purposes of climbing it? The nearest airport is an hour drive away.

There is an airport about 5 minutes away, right across from the entrance. (Instead of turning into the Park, just turn the other way & go toward the gas station & the airport is on the north side of the street.)

http://www.airnav.com/airport/UT25

Edited by klas

There is an airport about 5 minutes away, right across from the entrance. (Instead of turning into the Park, just turn the other way & go toward the gas station & the airport is on the north side of the street.)

http://www.airnav.com/airport/UT25

Much appreciated. Although I Google-Mapped it...it appears to be a 35 minute drive from the Totem Pole. Has anyone landed there? Is there a convenient way to get from the airport to the Totem Pole?

Much appreciated. Although I Google-Mapped it...it appears to be a 35 minute drive from the Totem Pole. Has anyone landed there? Is there a convenient way to get from the airport to the Totem Pole?

No. You have to drive the park dirt road to Totem Pole, which is quite bumpy & you have to drive slowly, so that means it will take a bit. The airport is practically right outside the front door to the park - you can't get any closer to it. 35 minutes driving in the Park is quite scenic so you will enjoy it.

Patrick Cox (RHC) told me in an e-mail that it's a pretty hefty fine for landing on top. What's the ruling on landing nearby for the purposes of climbing it? The nearest airport is an hour drive away.

Confiscating your helicopter would definitely be considered a "hefty fine". The Navajo Nation is used to dealing with aircraft (see http://www.navajonationparks.org/htm/film.htm) and may require insurance, in addition to a permit (http://www.navajonationparks.org/permits.htm) Let us know....

Climbing it? It looks technical. Pat Cox has the close-up photo of the perched R22 and in said photo there appears to be an etrier dangling from a bolt just below the summit.

Since UT25 is "Private use. Permission required prior to landing" suggest, when calling for permission to land, also asking if rental cars or tour services are available.