CFI renewals

I was just wondering how many of you turbine pilots out there continue to renew your CFI certificate after you "moved on" from instructing to your first turbine job.

I'm curious - do many of you intend to use of your CFI certificate again further down the road, or do most of you just let it expire and gather dust?

I was just wondering how many of you turbine pilots out there continue to renew your CFI certificate after you "moved on" from instructing to your first turbine job.

I'm curious - do many of you intend to use of your CFI certificate again further down the road, or do most of you just let it expire and gather dust?

I suggest that you not give up a potential source of income. Personally I let mine drop many years ago. Two years ago I got it reissued by adding a couple of add-on ratings to the certificate. If you work Part 135, it makes it easier for your employer to make you a training pilot or check airman if you have a current CFI. Having a CFI will make it easier for you to work for a training department or Flight Safety. A nice backup if you lose your medical. I suggest that you keep it current.

I can't understand anyone letting their CFI expire. Even if they don't like to instruct. You worked so hard to obtain it. Don't let it go that easily.

Thanks for your responses so far.

I had the impression that most instructors are glad to move out of the instructing environment and on to tours or GOM work, and consequently not interested in renewing their CFI. I'm not sure if I had a false impression of how many people are letting their CFI expire, or if there really are a lot of people doing it.

I had always felt the same way as Rick1128 and Rotormandan, that if you work so hard to get it, why let it expire? I have not had to renew mine yet, but from what I understand it doesn't take much - especially when compared t the work that goes in to getting that initial issuance.

Any others out there with thoughts on this?

After having the CFII expire in 1989, I am now in the process of renewing. With upcoming job opportunities, it might be wise to be current!

Rotorrodent

Still flying helos after 41 years. Still RHCFI and still instructing but at many different levels. Many of you have flown with me, imagine me not passing on the info to you? Never give up a rating. Now I am becoming CFIS for fun to teach primary to Sport Pilot applicants in Airplanes. EZPZ because I am RHCFI. Best to All, Mike

Have any of you used American Flyers online renewal? They claim it is $125 one time fee and you can use it every two years. I had just started using Gleim's free first chapter trial (very easy even though it is all fixed wing aero) when a freind sent this.

https://www.americanflyers.net/instruction/enroll.asp?form=b

Edited by 1HeliCFI

My wife done that American Flyers online thing, and it worked just fine. You have to be on their website for a minimum amount of hours on each topic. It was 15 hours or something like that. You can't cheat and just leave the screen open while you do other stuff, you have to be active on the site every 30 seconds or something like that. She received her renewed certs about a month after doing the course and the little test at the end. Quick & easy, can't complain about that now, can we?