Some of the things i learned my first year as a student pilot!

HVG

Oh, and if you, as a student, haven't heard "Eyes outside!" a gazillion times, here's one more for you. Don't chase the gages! Eyes outside!

Great thread!

HVG, you are so right here, and when you fly the R44 you will need this skill even more. The hydraulics are awesome, but you don't feel the ship like the 300s, if you aren't looking out (and not at the ground), you will be behind the curve. Every single time my hover starts to get shaky i catch myself looking at the ground.

another thing the 44 taught me, don't expect the ground, look far outside and just fly the ship until it touches down. This is harder than it seems, but when you try it your set-downs improve dramatically.

dp

• Like 1

Of course there's always 800-WX-BRIEF too.

Did we forget this one??? WX-Brief is an AMAZING TOOL, if you have not used it get with someone that has and on your next flight, sit down and call them. This could be a whole separate topic!! learn it, and use it... i can't believe i forgot to list this one... one of the top ten for me!!

dp

• Like 1

Did we forget this one??? WX-Brief is an AMAZING TOOL, if you have not used it get with someone that has and on your next flight, sit down and call them. This could be a whole separate topic!! learn it, and use it... i can't believe i forgot to list this one... one of the top ten for me!!

dp

Its on the bottom of my list of frequencies...so is the 1-800 AWOS number...also pretty neat.

This is a great thread, and I've been thinking over the past few days about the things I've learned in my first year and a half or so. I think the only thing that hasn't been brought up yet is the simulator. Live it, love it.

Yes, it's boring. No, it's not a real helicopter. If you find yourself with a chance to use sim time as part of your Instrument training not only will you save a significant amount of money, but you can let your instructor put you in situations you'd NEVER get into in the real world. Ever get lost while shooting a backcourse in Alaska when you've got a 50kt crosswind, 1/8th viz with heavy snow, 200 ft clgs and a failed AI? When is the last time you flew a timed approach, didn't think about your tailwind and your instructor let you fly into a mountain?

Every hour I've spent in the simulator has made me a better pilot. Even those boring, almost painful hours holding and tracking. It IS worth it.

Edited by ADRidge

That's a great point about the simulator. I wish I had simulator time...

I've got lots... at least that's what I call it when I drive around in the truck steering the shifter around with my cyclic hand making whoop-whoop-whoop noises!

I've got lots... at least that's what I call it when I drive around in the truck steering the shifter around with my cyclic hand making whoop-whoop-whoop noises!

LOVED that one, my wife jumped in the other room when i laughed out loud!!

dp

• Like 1

Seriously - I used to drive an hour and a half from Brooksville, FL (west coast) to Titusville (east coast) to fly at Bristow every day. On my way in in the morning, if I took the truck instead of the bike, I'd hold the shifter like a cyclic and practice my three-fingered nudging technique all the way to school. I swear it worked like a charm.

The whole time I'd be visualizing that day's flights and rehearsing my memory items (freqs, emergency procedures, radio calls) while the scanner blared at me from the passenger seat.

I've got it bad, man. Bad, bad, bad.

If it takes you more than two atempts to land somewhere, land somewhere else.

Your first time flying a different piston helicopter do two good hover autos with good throttle chops.

Get the power in early

Know where the wind is coming from

Always ask questions

A good flight is when you have to wake up the people in the back after you've landed

Sometimes judgment is the better part of valor

Never say "watch this"

Edited by HeloPitts

This is a great thread, and I've been thinking over the past few days about the things I've learned in my first year and a half or so. I think the only thing that hasn't been brought up yet is the simulator. Live it, love it.

Yes, it's boring. No, it's not a real helicopter.

Yes sim time is great. I think new students could get a real headstart if they did some sim time before the real thing. Good for instrument practice.....and now newbies close your eyes.

When it starts to get boring just go do one acrobatic flight. A couple barrel rolls in the 500 wakes me up every time. Then a couple auto's...full down to the ground...and you're good to go for another half hour IMC flight.

"Pretend" flying is valuable early on when you're trying to just remember what everything does and how the controls affect one another. Most of us talk to ourselves at some point, might as well be practicing radio calls to the tower at the same time!

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

I used to practice my radio calls when I would call my wife after a flight - "home base, dodge 78a, 3 miles southwest, with Charlie, inbound for front carport"...

I really wanted a reply like "dodge 78a, enter a right downwind and pass behind the UPS truck, winds currently 230 at 6, advise 1/2 mile"...

However the response was usually just "what??" :rolleyes:

Edited by heli.pilot

such good stuff folks,

i have to add this here once again, in case some of you missed it in the longer posts.

if you can, record some of your flights, it's fairly easy to put a cheap Radio Shack mic in your headset and plug a recorder into it. You will be amazed at the prospective you get. You can even stick the mic under your ear cup temporarily to record a few flights if you don't want to risk your warranty. Listen to the flights on the way home in your car.

If you are staying in one area you can also set a small recorder next to a portable radio and leave it on the freq you will be flying on, you will only get your reports to the tower, but it will be a start.

dp

• Like 1

after following up on Whistlerpilot's (and others) input on mountain flying, on this site, here:

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.c...showtopic=10870

i have to add; when you find good posts on this site, and there are tons of them, print them out and take them with you, any time you get a minute and need a fix, you have just what you need... :-)

dp

• Like 1

For those who don't already know, you can look up tail numbers on the FAA website. It will show you who the registered owner is and the make and model of the aircraft (among other things). I have found it handy when I see an aircraft and I'm not sure what it is. Just enter the n-number and up comes the info.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_inquiry.asp

Let me tell you a little story about airspace.

I awoke one day to find out that I had won the lottery so I decided to go out and buy 3 Cessna 1 5 2 airplanes to fly around and have fun with my buddies in. I also figured I'd need something to play around in when I wanted to go above 10,000 feet so I went also bought a F 1 1 1 fighter jet.

3 - miles of visibility

C - cloud clearance

1 - 1000 feet above

5 - 500 feet below

2 - 2000 feet horizontal

F - five miles visibility

1 - 1000 feet above

1 - 1000 feet below

1 - 1 mile horizontal

;)

Let me tell you a little story about airspace.

I awoke one day to find out that I had won the lottery so I decided to go out and buy 3 Cessna 1 5 2 airplanes to fly around and have fun with my buddies in. I also figured I'd need something to play around in when I wanted to go above 10,000 feet so I went also bought a F 1 1 1 fighter jet.

3 - miles of visibility

C - cloud clearance

1 - 1000 feet above

5 - 500 feet below

2 - 2000 feet horizontal

F - five miles visibility

1 - 1000 feet above

1 - 1000 feet below

1 - 1 mile horizontal

;)

Hey! You stole my way of remembering that!!! lol

Guys- $20 bucks at any electronic shop gets you a digital recorder with somewhere between 8-12 HOURS of record time. Just leave it in your pocket, stuff one side under your headset ( yeah, thats comfortable!) or you can plug in the external mike and you wont even notice it.

Hey RkyMtnHI, Do you have a link for the radio shack microphone? thanks

i brought my Bose home today to take photos and do a short build string, will get to it this afternoon.

my recorder cost around $100 cuz i wanted to down load. i think it will record eight hours..

more later,

dp

• Like 1

Recording your flights, like you suggest, is a great idea. I wish I had thought of doing that during my training. It's probably a good ides for people working on their CFI too, so you can hear how well you are actually explaining the maneuver! I recall my first few flights of talking through maneuvers - I couldn't believe how hard it was. It's easy to think that you have explained it, because you understand it yourself. But maybe listening to it later (out of the aircraft) would offer some feedback as to how good your verbal skills really are.

I bought mine for $29 bucks I think it has 40 hours of recording. Here is the latest technology for $39...300, yes 300 HOURS of record time

Sony® ICD-B600 Digital Voice Recorder Item # 411590

Take a Product TourVisit the Sony ShowcasePrint Email Available online

Store pickup

Sold in stores

at selected store

Check local store availability

See shipping and availability details Your selected store

Check another store

$39.99

each

Quantity

http://www.officedepot.com/catalog/review.do?

Overall Customer Rating:

Not Yet Rated

Write the First Review

Share this product

Printable reviews

Notes:

Description Product details Related Items Customer Reviews

Description

Record up to 300 hours with 512MB of built-in memory. 3 recording modes offer you recording versatility.

Large front speaker in the front offers you high sound quality.

That recorder that Goldy posted looks pretty good. According to what I read though, it doesn't seem to be able to transfer what you record to your PC. I wonder if you could do that by running a line out from the headphone jack of the recorder to the mic input on your PC? You'd be recording in real time though, so transferring an hour and a half of recording would take a while... about an hour and a half, if my math is right!

Looks like a handy little recorder though, and a great price. It's on Amazon for $35.98 with free shipping.