Training costs

clay

I'd love to see some examples that met the "ugliness" surcharge ! Maybe a Brantley? ( ouch, ooh, that one is gonna hurt !!)

Goldy

may hurt, but probably would qualify for THAT surcharge.

You need to tell Nick to get off his duff and start flying, then. :D

havent seen Nick lately. im sure the first of the year has alot going on for him.

Hey all,

i did a ton of shopping a couple of years ago before i started my training. It's hard to shop on prices cuz you have to compare the ships directly. one school may have newer ships, with up-to-date instruments, where the other may have ships from the 70 or 80's. You simply cannot compare prices in these cases. I had this discussion with my dad when it came to fixed wing training for my 14 year old son. My dad wanted to donate to the cause and asked me for prices, he almost had a heart attack when i told him what the going rate was around here for a three year old 172 full IFR. Turns out he was comparing a cabbage patch 1971 VFR ship to the one we were flying here. My son went to visit for a couple of weeks this summer and was shocked.. there were holes in the panel from missing stuff. Now i know that is an extreme example, but be sure to keep that in mind when you shop schools.. you get what you pay for.

aloha,

dp

One thing I'd like to point out, is hourly rate is only one part of the equation you should be looking at when choosing a school.

Insurance is a big deal. If you are flying Robbies and the Company uses pathfinder, you may be shocked to see what you as a student would be covered for in an accident, especially your medical bills.

My school carries not only insurance on the helicopter, but we also carry a seperate policy for the student, so if god forbid, you crashed or has soem type of incident, and someone wanted to sue you personnaly, you would have a million dollars in coverage, at no charge to you.

Now, having said that, our rates for a 300C dual are slightly hire $320.00 an hour, but the ships are flawlessly maintained. They are on a 25 hour progressive insoection schedule, to inlcude Engine Oil analysis every 25 hours.

As to the debate for VFR vs IFR, our CFII's make a little more than our CFI's when teaching instruments, which they should. They spent the extra money to get the addtional rating, so it's only fair.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

Take Care

Chris