Plane Crash

I know it's not helicopter related, but it's not every day you hear of commercial airliner going down.

The report says the the US Airways Airbus 320 ran into a flock of birds disabling both engines. The Airbus 320 then made a crash landing into the Hudson river.

Luckily so far there hasn't been any report of any deaths or serious injuries.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/plane_in_river

I'm really glad that finally we've had 2 accidents within the last two months where no one has been killed. This latest one in the Hudson is just awsome! I give huge props to the pilot being able to put her down in the Hudson and still everyone got out ok.

Couldn't have been a more qualified captain for the task. The pilots did an outstanding job.

I was thinking why didn't the plane sink? Of course it just took off and was full of Jet A which is lighter than water. That must have given it the little extra needed to stay afloat long enough for everyone to evacuate even as the cabin filled with water.

Just happened to fly over Manhattan 3 months ago and take this video pretty much where the Airbus ditched.

Taken from 700'

Edited by Whistlerpilot

One of my most vivid childhood memories was of the 727 that crashed into the Potomac in '82. Relieved to see that not all airliner crashes have to end in a bunch of deaths.

Did you mean Air Florida 737?

Rotorrodent

It's pretty impressive that he managed to bring her down without her tearing apart. He's the man.

TFR up until further notice 1NM radius 8NM out on the LGA 248 radial. So I guess my Monday morning photo flight at the Trade Center is canceled then! No biggie, I needed a sleep in one of these days anyway :P

I'm guessing Captain Sullenberger is a little embarassed by all this "hero" talk. I just hope I could remain cool and make all the right decisions in an emergency like he did. People want him to get some kind of civilian medal, I'm sure he'd be happy with a "high five".

I'm guessing Captain Sullenberger is a little embarassed by all this "hero" talk. I just hope I could remain cool and make all the right decisions in an emergency like he did. People want him to get some kind of civilian medal, I'm sure he'd be happy with a "high five".

I heard today on the news that he's going to be a guest of honor at the inauguration tomorrow.

Then they ran this story:

They're blaming the birds again.

Just days after a US Airways jetliner was forced to land in New York's Hudson River apparently after striking a flock of birds, hospital officials in Little Rock, Arkansas, say one of their emergency helicopters was grounded by a bird strike.

Mark Lowman, a spokesman for Baptist Health Center, said Sunday that the chopper's pilot made a "safe landing" after hitting a bird while returning to the hospital after taking a patient to Memphis, Tennessee.

"I think the pilot just made a judgment call to set it down," Lowman said of the landing, which happened at 6:15 p.m. on Saturday.

Video footage of the helicopter showed a large hole in the passenger-side windshield and a hole torn into the paneling on the nose of the chopper.

The pilot received minor injuries during the landing, and the other two crew members onboard were uninjured, Lowman said.

He said federal aviation officials are investigating and that the helicopter is not expected to be grounded for long.

They showed a picture of it but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Edited by coanda