New medical rules

Just wanted to make sure I understood the new medical certificate rules correctly, can anyone verify my information?

Duration pilots under 40 at the time of issue

First class: The last day of the 12th month after initial issue this medical becomes third class

Second class: The last day of the 12th month after initial issue this medical becomes third class

Third class: The last day of the 60th month after initial issue this medical expires

Duration pilots 40 and over at the time of issue

First class: The last day of the 6th month after initial issue this medical becomes second class

Second class: The last day of the 12th month after initial issue this medical becomes third class

Third class: The last day of the 24th month after initial issue this medical expires.

Yes, your times are right.

As the previous post mentioned a first class does not become a second or third class, your privileges just change.

This comes into play when you fill out an 8710. I had a second class medical that had been issued about 14 months prior, so when I filled out my 8710 I entered "third class" where it asked about my medical - wrong! The DPE caught it and had me redo the 8710, but he said that the application would have most likely been rejected once they found the error.

I had a second class medical, however it was expired and so I was only able to exercise the privileges of a third class medical. I didn't actually have a third class medical though. Sounds a little trivial but it is an important distinction.