PPL Checkride this week

Yup! I have my checkride with Bristow Academy next Thursday, the 22nd.

I'm kinda nervous :(..this older gentleman took his checkride a week ago, and didn't pass based on forgetting some small things....but I guess it's really easy to get caught up in the moment with everything going on. But now I can learn from his mistakes !

Anywho .. while I'm sitting here with my PTS and Schweizer txt books, i figured I'd say something. If anyone has any advice of the sorts, I would be very grateful!

-Tyler

Edited by Tawler

It's not too often somebody fails a private check-ride. That combined with the fact that your instructor won't sign you off before you're ready to take it means that you shouldn't have too much to worry about. Prepare yourself well for the check-ride, trust your instructor's judgment and just do what you do when you fly with your instructor and it'll be a non-event! Well, a non-event until the party that night!!! ;) Good luck.

Darren is right here- if your CFI has signed you off and made the call then he is putting his rep on the line that you are ready. Did you know that a very high percentage of students HAVE to pass on their first try or ELSE the CFI gets a double look?

So, bring all your books and know where to find everything. If during the oral he asks a question that you dont know, you could always answer that " That's covered in Part 61, shall I look it up"? It's better than "I dont know".

I'm sure you know all the aircraft limitations....that, and some good auto's should do it !

The toughest part for every one of us is not to be so nervous that your flying sucks ! Maybe a couple autos that morning will help loosen you up.

Good luck, Goldy

I had a retreating brain stall :(.

and the weather was really bad, so we wouldn't have flown anyways...

& i fumbled my performance problem, sigh :(

OK, as a way to help all the other students out there ..... What was the question? Did you forget to calculate DA ? Mis-read a performance chart ?

Oh, by the way, 100-1000 hours from now, it wont really matter much.

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

:/

basically he said,

"you wanna go land in the mountains @ an airport 6000' AGL , East of Fresno ...what is the max weight you can land with"

soooo i used the winds aloft temp...& the whole time im like..well i need to find my PA, but he wasnt using an actual airport... so im like...? & using the chart was fine, i drew the lines alright, but the major problem was that i didnt uhhh interpolate(?) the data/ compute my PA. 29.92 (standard) then 1'' for every 1000' ft (right ?...) but then itd be like 23.92. and so basically a ridiculous retreating brain stall...& im not gonna go on an make excuses so :\.

blah.

Edited by Tawler

basically he said,

"you wanna go land in the mountains @ an airport 6000' AGL , East of Fresno ...what is the max weight you can land with"

soooo i used the winds aloft temp...& the whole time im like..well i need to find my PA, but he wasnt using an actual airport... so im like...? & using the chart was fine, i drew the lines alright, but the major problem was that i didnt uhhh interpolate(?) the data/ compute my PA. 29.92 (standard) then 1'' for every 1000' ft (right ?...) but then itd be like 23.92. and so basically a ridiculous retreating brain stall...& im not gonna go on an make excuses so :\.

blah.

Remember, you don't need to adjust your altimeter setting for field altitude - the altimeter setting is for sea level at any given location. This is a tough concept to grasp in the beginning. Quoting altimeter settings according to what they would be at sea level at any given location, gives us a way to easily compare areas of high and low pressure. It's the same principle as why we refer to mean sea level for our altitude (MSL) and why manufacturers set a datum plane for calculating CG.

Have your CFI further clarify this with you, it's an important concept to grasp.

Keep your chin up. As Goldy said, this really won't matter much in a few hundred hours.

basically he said,

blah.

Hmmmm, sorta thought it might be a DA calculation type thing. My first response if flying an R22 would have been "you aint going with me if I'm going to 6000 !!!"

update:

passed the ground (woot!).

preflighted, went out .... DPE asked questions about the aircraft....etc etc.

span up, and about to do my mag check, when he realized his intercom plug in jack was malfunctioning....Mx comes out, and says it'll be longer than 15 mins. he said he was running low on time, and asked if we could reschedule. i said sure, since the wx is supposed to be amazingly great tomorrow, too (high pressure system, lovin it !).

so, yeah! flight portion tomorrow morning. stay calmmmmmmmm.

:)

-Tawler

i botched the same 2 maneuvers, despite practicing them 4 hours earlier.

:\.

way too nervous.

Wish I could tell you not to be nervous. Then I remember just how BAD I was flying during my PPL. Ever do a run on landing and stop in like 3 feet?? LOL< I thought it was going to nose over I dropped the collective so hard. Poor guy, I wont mention his name, but my DPE was probably the second most famous Robbie pilot of all time. I still say hi to him whenever I see him, I wonder if he still remembers that run-on !!

Goldy

Wish I could tell you not to be nervous. Then I remember just how BAD I was flying during my PPL. Ever do a run on landing and stop in like 3 feet?? LOL< I thought it was going to nose over I dropped the collective so hard. Poor guy, I wont mention his name, but my DPE was probably the second most famous Robbie pilot of all time. I still say hi to him whenever I see him, I wonder if he still remembers that run-on !!

Goldy

I've done that with a 25kt headwind... it doesn't sound like you had that headwind though! :P

I still laugh when I think back to my private check ride, and the poor DPE that had to endure it!

Goldy

PPL's and their run-ons. I really should have busted with mine, I think. We were at an airport that had one active and a parallel that had a weird area that would dog-leg out. Well, my DPE wanted me to "run it on past the dogleg."

Okay, easy enough. But I'm so focused on "okay, gotta set up for a run-on" that I forgot the whole "past the dogleg". Ended up doing a perfect run-on to a spot about 300 yards short of where I was supposed to. I thought I'd stuck it, too. Then my DPE said "well, that was great. But you see our spot PAST the dogleg?" :lol: