Check out this near miss in a Brantly

That is a classic pilot error of overworking his cyclic stick. Look how much he tilts the rotor. He is overworking the stick, instead of allowing the rotor to shift angle. Furthermore, you should never hover just above the ground - too much gust from the engine.

Yeah these are always great reads on boring days. Gotta love what the arm-chair pilots have to say about incidents and accidents. Shift angle? Gust from the engine?? Hilarious!

Note the dude that has had enough and is getting out...

At one point he puts his foot out like trying to balance a bicycle.

Not a good situation! The pilot (the guy that put his foot out) was very lucky to not damage anything. It also looked like the other guy obviously wished he was some place else at the time indeed!

Now thats Scary,talk about over controling. looks like it was at Homer bells.anyone got any info on this?

"Furthermore, you should never hover just above the ground - too much gust from the engine."

Wait a minute... There's a term that's coming back to me now for this kind of wreckless maneuver. Don't tell me.... It's right on the tip of my tongue....... IGE! That's it! I'm glad this dude brought it up ... My dumb ass keeps making the mistake of hoving in ground effect. Stupid me ;) I think I'm going to make that my quote!

As far as the guy trying to balance with his leg.... I'm not sure if that's what he was doing or if he was going to try to bail out. When the controls aren't doing what people expect them to do, they make some pretty instinctive reactions, don't they?

J-

Silly Justin- you know you should never hover so close. All that air moving around getting in your way !

Geez, just the slightest pull of collective at one point there would have resulted in an instant dynamic roll over. The left front skid is on the ground and the rolling moment has begun...good thing one of them dropped power a bit.

Scary....

Silly Justin- you know you should never hover so close. All that air moving around getting in your way !

Geez, just the slightest pull of collective at one point there would have resulted in an instant dynamic roll over. The left front skid is on the ground and the rolling moment has begun...good thing one of them dropped power a bit.

Scary....

Watching the video when the helicopter turns so you can see the left side of the aircraft after the near dynamic roll over, the guy sitting on the left side has his hands in the air. They are no where near any controls! And the guy on the right side took at least one foot off the pedals. Interesting technique, not recommended though.

Ahh yes, the 'ole one foot out the helicopter. Pretty standard manuver. I believe they teach this one right after they show you how to take your hands off the controls in an emergency. Damn those engine gusts! :lol:

Reminds me of the answer I give my CFI whenever he quizes me on emergency procedures. "Panic". He likes that.

Reminds me of the answer I give my CFI whenever he quizes me on emergency procedures. "Panic". He likes that.

Yes, that was my standard answer back in the day. Now I answer "I'd like to phone a friend."

Dang I watch too much TV!

Later

Edited by Witch