Training on cape cod

Cape Cod? Hmmm, good luck. Try East Coast Aero Club at KBED. Used to fly fixed wing with them. They have what looks like a good deal on an R44 ($300 wet I think), and one of their instructors (Philip Greenspun) has posted plenty online about helicopters.

--c

Have never flown with east coast aero club but I did inquire with them about renting an aircraft. Unfortunately I am not willing to spend $75 on a stupid massport security pass I will probably only use a few times. One good thing they offer is the ability to rent the aircraft out for I think a day or even a weekend. Which would be pretty sweet.

• 2 months later...

The school in Plymouth - the owner is an honest guy. Just started up I believe. Havent heard anything bad.

The school in Norwood - Blue Hill Helicopters - have heard more than a few negatives - won't go into specifics, but don't spend your hard earned money to find out. Plymouth would be closer for you anyway. Go there.

East Coast - seems a bit far for you.

North Andover Flight Academy - LWM - too far for you to travel.

Northeast Helicopters - CT - too far to travel.

They Plymouth school seems the best bet for your locale. They're honest and have everything you probably need.

The school in Norwood - Blue Hill Helicopters - have heard more than a few negatives - won't go into specifics, but don't spend your hard earned money to find out.

You sure?? There are several people here who've done their various licenses with BHH, myself and doorgunner to name but two.

Never had any problems with BHH at Norwood, IMO a solid outfit run by excellent chaps.

Tell us more 'new pilot', even if just by PM...

• 3 years later...

I'm doing my transition training at Blue Hill. While inhabited by numerous "new" instructors, I have had a very good experience with them. They do most of their primary training on a Schweizer 300CBi, offer commercial, and IFR on a 300C. My current instructor is nearing the end of his visa and will be leaving soon to return to Germany (or points elsewhere if he gets hired somewhere).

I think the best way to pick a school is a site visit, talk to them, get a walk around, and maybe pay for a demo flight. See what YOU think. It will cost you some time and money but it is YOUR training.

Another hint might be to record the N numbers and search the NTSB websites. One of my previous schools was involved in a few questionable incidents/accidents. Things change though and I wouldn't have a problem going back to them now.

Internet forums are great for trading info but everyone has an opinion.