Custom Garmin 696 Install in my R44

HeloJunkie

Hey Everyone -

I am in the process of doing a custom install of a Garmin 696 to replace my MX20 in my R44.

You can take a look at the article and pictures I posted on my website here:

Custom Garmin 696 Install in R44

Let me know what you think!

Real nice work a credit to the avionics shop, Getting better & better but why a 44

Wow, what a loaded question. When I went to buy a helo, I spent over 6 months looking at a bunch of Jet rangers and a couple of 500s. The shop I fly out of has both and knows what they cost to operate and to insure. For $500k I could get a super high time machine, or for $100k less I could get a new 44.

It out performs the jet rangers I could afford and was about 1/4 the operating costs of a 500 when I factored in insurance.

So I went with a factory brand new R44 and have yet to regret that decision after 300 hours in it in my first year!

I would love to own a turbine, maybe when the 66 is available !

:-)

Looks like a great spot for the 696!

I'm thinking of using a 696 instead of a 496 that I'm using in the RII that I'm flying.

Are you having any difficulties getting approval for the ham rigs installed in there?

I would like to have one instead (also have a ham radio license), and modifying to communicate with VHF radios on mining sites I'm flying to.

Are you actually able to reach the controls on the GPS in that position during flight?

By the way, first APRS I've noticed in an aircraft, very cool. Also not a bad idea for flight tracking.

Edited by choppedair

I would love to own a turbine, maybe when the 66 is available !

:-)

OK Richard, it's a deal ! You buy a new 66 and I'll take your 44 off your hands cheap !

Still have to fly down some day and check it out. been kinda hard lately with the weather we've had.

Take care,

Goldy

Looks like a great spot for the 696!

I'm thinking of using a 696 instead of a 496 that I'm using in the RII that I'm flying.

Are you having any difficulties getting approval for the ham rigs installed in there?

I would like to have one instead (also have a ham radio license), and modifying to communicate with VHF radios on mining sites I'm flying to.

Are you actually able to reach the controls on the GPS in that position during flight?

By the way, first APRS I've noticed in an aircraft, very cool. Also not a bad idea for flight tracking.

Choppedair -

You should not have any issues with the ham radio approval via 337. You can order any of the robbies with ham radios right from the factory. Just get it done right so your local inspector does not have wonder how well it was done.

As for the location, it looks further back than it really is as a result of the 696 being so far forward. I have no problems working the controls on the radio at all in flight. Its about the same reach as the 430 on the other side.

OK Richard, it's a deal ! You buy a new 66 and I'll take your 44 off your hands cheap !

Still have to fly down some day and check it out. been kinda hard lately with the weather we've had.

Take care,

Goldy

You got a deal. When I get my cheap R66 from Frank, you will get your cheap R44 from me :lol:

Was hoping to see you at HAI, but my kid hit the ER today so I will be spending the weekend with him.