ppl checkride this saturday.

Don't forget the simple things like doing clearing turns before you take off and contacting tower to request patterns (if applicable). It's easy to get caught up stressing about the your autos or confined areas and forget the simple things. I know several people who have been more than adequately prepared for the check-ride, but failed for forgetting some of the most simple things.

Also don't forget to take your text books, notes, FAR/AIM, PTS, E6B, charts and anything else you can think of to your oral. If you're unsure of something, look it up. Plus, coming in looking well prepared (with all your books etc) will hopefully get you off on the right foot with your DPE.

Good luck! :D

So i've finally reached the checkride part. Although I feel prepared I thought I would ask for some last minute advice. Nervous and excited at the same time. Thanks in advance.

Relax and just do what you have been trained. The DPE is looking for you to exercise good judgement and to be safe. If he put his family on your helicopter, would he feel comfortable and at ease? That is what the DPE is looking for.

You can't know everything and you are not expected to. During your oral, If you don't know the answer to a question, know how to find it.

Make good safe decisions. If you are placed in a situation you aren't comfortable with, make the command decision and go around. Sometimes the test is to see if you can say "this isn't safe, we are going somewhere else".

Relax and have fun!

Cheers,

Rotorrodent

I got really busy right after my ppl checkride, so I didn't post anything, but I breezed through it for a couple of different reasons. A few tips...

1) If you haven't been studying/preparing, none of these tips are going to help you.

2) Relax. The examiner puts his pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else. I went into the oral as if it was a conversation or study session with another pilot and the flight as just another flight with the CFI. This is where being prepared kicks in. If you know your stuff, you don't want to brain fart and mess something up. Your instructor obviously gave you the endorsement because he/she thinks you'll pass, so if you don't do anything different from how you normally do it, you'll be fine. When it comes time for EPs, slopes, confined/pinacle, etc, focus on it then, not during your engine run-up! Remember... You aren't expected to be perfect. The tollerences are pretty lax for the PPL.

3) As has been said above, make sure you bring everything you need with you. FAR/AIM, POH, flight computer of your preference, shades... Anything else you can think of. Remeber, you will have time to run it down to your car after the oral.

4) DON'T MAKE UP ANSWERS! You aren't going to B.S. the instructor. They would rather have you admit that you're not sure and look it up than to act macho and give an answer for the sake of giving an answer.

5) If the examiner is trying to tell you something, listen. They are not trying to make you fail and often they will try to help you a bit into the answer if you aren't getting it. Don't count on them giving you an obvious hint (because they wont), but they know when you're having some of the old retreating brain stall and may at least give you something.

6) Did I already say relax? No.... Seriously....

Hope this helped. I'm exhausted, so I'm not suprized if this doesnt make any sense. Good luck!

J-

Edited by Justin DBC

Remember always show the DPE that your a better pilot than him...No just kidding :D

1. Come prepared (which I'm sure you will)

2. Know all of the emergency procedures. (which I'm sure you already know.)

3. Know your airspace and the sectional chart you'll be using.

4. Think of it as another flight with your CFI (as mentioned earlier) but easier.

Also as mentioned by everyone, don’t stress there's really no reason to. After the check ride you’re going to be saying I have no clue what I was worried about.

Good Luck

We’ll hear from you on Sunday.

Better be hitting the bars on Saturday B) after the check ride

of course.

Edited by helikriewall

081453Z 28020G30KT 10SM CLR and at 600' - 081454Z AUTO 28028G41KT

that ain't gonna happen.. (again)... :angry:

I remember my private checkride, winds were 15 G20, made perfect auto's a breeze !!

Good luck next time,

Goldy

What a great feeling. I passed!!!! Thanks for the last minute advice. Now that my ppl checkride is out of the way I realized I was stressing a lot more than I should have. Now I can officially say I'm a private pilot. Thanks again.

Congratulations- as they say, a license to learn..

What a great feeling. I passed!!!! Thanks for the last minute advice. Now that my ppl checkride is out of the way I realized I was stressing a lot more than I should have. Now I can officially say I'm a private pilot. Thanks again.

Belated Congrats!!!

Rotorrodent

Thanks for the congrats!!!! This forum is so great with so much information. Yes I do plan on continuing but i'm trying to get another loan which seems to be a struggle right now. My original loan was through sallie mae but I spoke with them and they dont offer that loan anymore. So I am working on other options right now. I am a patient person so I am hoping it will work out for me. Also I took my first passenger for a ride a few days ago and it was great being a PIC!!!!! And Goldy yes it really is a license to learn.

I passed my private helicopter checkride last week. The DPE was a pleasure to fly with. I flew with my instructor the next day to improve my autorotations. I would have flown sharper if I did not have so many lessons canceled due to weather leading up to the checkride. I took my wife up as my first passenger. I felt some pressure to fly well. I flew well enough, she siaid that I could buy a helicopter.