Helicopter Rental

I checked out JJ a week or so ago, rates are ok($245,255,265/hr.) depends on how much you have on account. Here's the kicker, I need to do 25 hours with a CFI, before I could rent a 22? WTF? It's because of insurance, do to the fatal on the 110. I asked how much time for the 44, but I would need a CFI at all times, no solo flight. The latter I'm guessing they want a lot more hours, 300+ hours to rent?? Even if I were to fly there, and work on my CFI, I would still need to fly 25+hours with a CFI, before they would rent to me! So.....thinking I won't be at JJ anytime in the near future....NEXT!

Rob

R91

Hey Bud- I told you where to fly, but you wouldnt believe me !!!

Wanna try and go up Sunday between T-Storms ?? My treat !

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

Hey Bud- I told you where to fly, but you wouldnt believe me !!!

Wanna try and go up Sunday between T-Storms ?? My treat !

Goldy

That's the first time I've seen someone offer anyone free time during our current economic SNAFU ;)

I've talked to the people at JJ, but their rates aren't very competitive and the rental polciy does seem a bit rediculous. Most places just require a checkout with a CFI (as long as your SFAR 73 requirements are taken care of) from what I've seen.

Is Sunday going to be decent? I had to scrub a flight in a UH-60 today and I heard it's not going to be getting much better through the weekend.

J-

Hey Rob

JJ was always pretty strong with their rental rules. Their 44 rule was in effect before the accident I think. If you train there, they let you rent, same with the 44. But they ALWAYS required a pilot with the 44. I have a really good place with REALLY low $$ rob, if you PM me... and it's very very close (Not Helistream). PM me =D

Is Sunday going to be decent? I had to scrub a flight in a UH-60 today and I heard it's not going to be getting much better through the weekend.

J-

Justin, are you at Los Al? Say hi to Mark Kampa and Mirko Duvnjak for me.

That's the first time I've seen someone offer anyone free time during our current economic SNAFU ;)

J-

Justin, its no fun flying a 4 seater and leaving all those seats empty ! Besides the 44 lands nice and level if you have 2 in the back. With only 1 or 2 in the front, the damn thing wants to take off on its toes !

Sunday MIGHT have some periods of nice weather. Hard to predict but my fingers are crossed. If nothing else, I'll go practice on the pad and just make some local flights.

AS far as renting. Twin Air rents the 22 and the Bell 47 to qualified students/pilots. The 44 has to have an employee pilot/ or owner along for insurance reasons.

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

I'm sure some schools out there do, but I personally do not know of any school that allows anyone to rent their R44's, FWIW.

I was quoted an extra $5000 per yer for insurance to allow a student to solo the Raven 2 that I normally fly. Not very cost effective for schools.

I also remember JJ Helicopters being fairly reasonable with their R44, but it was a Raven 1, and it was a couple years ago.

Edited by choppedair

If you join their rental club ( I think it's 400 and it lasts a year) you get %'s off of their items, and about 50 dollars off their helicopter rental. Believe it's about 400 with the rental club, wet, with an instructor. If you graduate from the school, they give you the rental card for free for a year. It was nice to use it for a while. It expires after a year.

I checked out JJ a week or so ago, rates are ok($245,255,265/hr.) depends on how much you have on account. Here's the kicker, I need to do 25 hours with a CFI, before I could rent a 22? WTF? It's because of insurance, do to the fatal on the 110. I asked how much time for the 44, but I would need a CFI at all times, no solo flight. The latter I'm guessing they want a lot more hours, 300+ hours to rent?? Even if I were to fly there, and work on my CFI, I would still need to fly 25+hours with a CFI, before they would rent to me! So.....thinking I won't be at JJ anytime in the near future....NEXT!

Rob

R91

Rob,

PM me if you need a better rental option at TOA.

R

Edited by R22 Driver

Justin, are you at Los Al? Say hi to Mark Kampa and Mirko Duvnjak for me.

Heh... I just saw both of them yesterday at drill. Duv is one of our MTPs so I end up talking to him a few days a week. Who should I say said hi?

J-

Heh... I just saw both of them yesterday at drill. Duv is one of our MTPs so I end up talking to him a few days a week. Who should I say said hi?

J-

I'm Brian Fishkin.

I was in the Cavalry with Duv in the early 90's and flew with Mark when he was an OH-58 IP. I still keep in touch with Duv via e-mail (haven't seen his T-Bird yet) and pop in to visit once a year when I come down to Helistream (next month).

Scouts Out!

J-

Justin- From 12-4 or so it was beautiful between storms. Lil wind at 20 knots, 20 miles vis, nice and cool too.

I'll post some pix later.

Goldy

I'm Brian Fishkin.

I was in the Cavalry with Duv in the early 90's and flew with Mark when he was an OH-58 IP. I still keep in touch with Duv via e-mail (haven't seen his T-Bird yet) and pop in to visit once a year when I come down to Helistream (next month).

Scouts Out!

It's a small Army, isn't it? Maybe I'll see you when you stop by. I'm not a tech, but I'm milking the AFTP program for all it's worth ;)

J-