R22 down in Houston

mechanic

I found this one here:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/6250314.html

Thankfully it looks like it wasn't serious. Inetersting quote from a member of the public in the 'comments' section below:

Glad to hear that the folks on board are OK. I live in this general area and I am amazed that this kind of thing doesn't happen more often given the number of training and "joy ride" helicopters that are constantly buzzing overhead. Between Hooks and Weiser the helicopter traffic is often pretty annoying.

Errm, if aircraft annoy you would it not be better to live in an area AWAY from 2 airports.?

Any word as to who’s bird it was??

Errm, if aircraft annoy you would it not be better to live in an area AWAY from 2 airports.?

I first flew out of Hooks when I was 4 years old, I am 40 now. That airport is kinda special to me. 2 firsts, first flight in fixed wing at 4 and first heli flight at 35 years old. The housing has come right up to the outer perimeter of the airport. Way back when that airport was out in pasture land. My fixed wing ride was to site see and view buffalo that was in the area. Now I have to alter the flight path to avoid flying over housing that is right close to our heli practice area. It’s weird that people move next door to an airport and call and bitch at the tower that helicopters are flying over their house! AH, hello didn’t you know the airport was next door when you looked at the NEW House????

The only schools there are Helicopter Services based at hooks with R22’s since SSH’s is gone. A couple miles to the West is David Lewis of Anything’s Possible Aviation, and now Northeast Helicopters is in Conroe up North a few miles but they have a second fixed wing school over at Weiser, as well as Anything’s Possible Aviation. The color of the R22 I saw on the news doesn’t look to be Heli Serv or Anything’s Possible aircraft that I am aware of. Telge Road is real close to Weiser not Hooks. I am thinking there is another R22 based just a little bit South at West Houston, but we are talking Houston, who knows who it was. Heck Helicopter Academy is not real far from there either, they are South Houston.

Glad they seem to be ok..

The news article said the crash was in a field near Telge Rd. which is 15 miles from Hooks. If they were from Hooks they were probably practicing confined area operations. Why would they close the airport for the investigation?

Heli.pilot, do you have a link to the article referencing Helicopter Services?

The news article said the crash was in a field near Telge Rd. which is 15 miles from Hooks. If they were from Hooks they were probably practicing confined area operations. Why would they close the airport for the investigation?

Heli.pilot, do you have a link to the article referencing Helicopter Services?

I'm not sure if it's the same article that I read, but Hedge's post has a link to an article that claims it is one of Helicopter Service's ships.

I'd be interested to hear what happened.

Yes, you all are right. It was HSI. I have a few hours in the 22 destroyed. Man, I see Anything's Possible had some bad luck too at Weiser. They had a plane and 22 contact. 2 R22's lost at Weiser within a week, humm... Both are good schools, hate to see these things happening to them.

Just thankful no one was killed in either incident...

P.S. Sorry I misspelled thankful, lol.. didn't notice until Goldy's post..

Yes, you all are right. It was HSI. I have a few hours in the 22 destroyed. Man, I see Anything's Possible had some bad luck too at Weiser. They had a plane and 22 contact. 2 R22's lost at Weiser within a week, humm... Both are good schools, hate to see these things happening to them.

Just thankfull no one was killed in either incident...

We havent talked much about the plane vs R22. Unbelieveable. First, R22 pilots should know that actually seeing an R22 in flight is impossible. I dont care what altitude you are, or how close you are, you just can't be seen. If you're not flying with all lights on, including landing lights, then I would like your full name so I can take out an insurance policy on you.

Second, the fact that an in flight mid air occurred does not surprise me. The fact that the tail rotor was sheared off the helo AND the ship did a successful auto and all walked away is quite impressive.....or lucky. I'll take either in a pinch.

Reminds of a crash in Malibu last year with a friend of mine. He had an EXPLOSIVE loss of tail rotor...the NTSB never did find the tail gear box, in a 44. He auto'd into some bushes on a hill side, lost the ship when it rolled, but all walked away without incident.

Pretty amazing stuff!

Glad all turned out well.

Goldy