CEP volume control

Ross85

Hi,

I just got a CEP kit installed on my helmet and was wondering if there is an easy way to install a volume control on my helmet. I haven't got my helmet back yet because I'm trying to decide whether I should let them install a volume control for another $100 or if there is a way to do it myself...or if I need it at all. It just seems that with passengers either they won't be able to hear the radio or my ears will get blown out so they can hear. Has anyone had an issue with this?

Hi,

I just got a CEP kit installed on my helmet and was wondering if there is an easy way to install a volume control on my helmet. I haven't got my helmet back yet because I'm trying to decide whether I should let them install a volume control for another $100 or if there is a way to do it myself...or if I need it at all. It just seems that with passengers either they won't be able to hear the radio or my ears will get blown out so they can hear. Has anyone had an issue with this?

On the UH-60, the entire crew rolls with CEPs. When we have pax in the back, they are either on the porkchop (hand-held mic) or David Clark headsets without CEPs. We don't have any way to adjust the volume for them without affecting the volume to the crew chiefs. I haven't had any problems with hearing the ICS when I was in the back. The only thing to consider here, though, is that the headsets that are installed into the helmets barely offer any noise canceling by themselves because they fit pretty loose compared to the David Clarks (just because of the way you need to put them on). This means that they David Clarks could be offering enough noise cancelation to even up the volume with the helmet w/ CEPs. I would say if the entire aircraft isn't outfitted with them and nobody who's used them in a similar situation on the same airframe chimes up and says differently, it would probably be a good idea to pony up the extra $100. If you don't and the result is disasterous, you can't use your new toy. If you do and it doesn't matter... at least your new toy has extra bells and whistles. I like bells and whistles.

J-

Edited by Justin DBC

I put a volume control on my hardhat, and it cost less than $10 for the components. I have a diagram if you'd like to see it. It wasn't hard to install, just a little common sense and patience... and a soldering iron.

Let me know, and I'll send it to ya.

Later

I put a volume control on my hardhat, and it cost less than $10 for the components. I have a diagram if you'd like to see it. It wasn't hard to install, just a little common sense and patience... and a soldering iron.

Let me know, and I'll send it to ya.

Later

Thanks!

Ya that would be good if you could send me that diagram.

eglsfootball@aim.com

Edited by Ross85

What you need is an audio taper potentiometer, as small as you can find. Try electronic stores in the area, or you can order from Mouser Electronics or a similar company. It's not rocket science, you just put the volume pot in the circuit. I don't use a volume control, and haven't felt the need, but I can see situations where they would be nice. In my setup, I have an audio panel and the med crew has their own, as well as volume controls on the boxes they plug into. If you're in a Robbie, though, you may need more control.

Ya, I think I'm going to install one myself. The only thing is where do you actually put the volume control? Do you just splice into the wire somewhere? or do you mount it on the helmet somehow?

Edited by Ross85

Ross,

The diagram has been sent...of course if you're reading this and have already gotten the diagram...

Nevermind

I drilled a hole that is slightly larger than the mounting shaft, made a notch for the tab thingy, and nutted it down.

The wire connections are clear in the diagram.

Later

Oh, one more thing, I put the volume control behind the left earcup.

Edited by Witch

It sounds like you have right information. I'll just throw in my .02 & experience. I run CEPs in my DCs for the S76 and in the C-12. I also use them in the UH-1. Because of the differences in the volume of the ICS,and radios, I strongly recommend that you get the volume control for your electric hat. Otherwise, you are going to struggle with the radio & ICS volume. Basically, It's going to be a PITA if you don't. Anyway, just my .02.