Pilot Psychology Video

ADRidge

Found this a while back. I may have gotten it here, or somewhere else. Regardless, it's a pretty decent little video on complacency in the cockpit. There are no crashes or really cool backflips and NOE flying in this video, but I think it's a great way to bring yourself back down to reality every once in a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zY8tIDSIV8

Edit: yeah it's geared towards airplanes, but whatever. The fundamentals are the same.

Stay safe.

Edited by ADRidge

Nice video! Thanks for the post!

The sad thing is that complacency hits everyone at some time or another and the hardest thing in the world to do is to recognize that attitude in yourself and correct it (especially if it's become a habit). Last week one of my FIs walked up on me when I was about to safety-wire a few bolts on the collective. I used to make it routine to take off my jacket, pat down my pockets, remove my watch and bracelet, and then have a friend double check me when I was de-FODing before working on an aircraft. Slowly I downgraded that routine to just putting the stuff from my pockets in a tool box and not double checking everything. This time I'd left a watch and bracelet on.

I think building an environment where it's okay to call anyone you see out on the small stuff without making it personal is key to fixing complacency issues. If someone is at the point where they get offended if you tell them they aren't going by the checklist or that they aren't being as careful as they used to.... They probably need a bit of re-training before they get up in that aircraft again.

J-

Rant complete

No problem guys. I know we all get into a slump where "pft, I've done that a million times. I know this bird in and out. Inevitably, during that slump, you'll do something stupid. It may just be something simple, or it could be the last mistake you ever make.

There's a quote in there that has become my mantra: Every time you go up, you will make ONE mistake."

Edited by ADRidge

Interesting talk real easy to convince yourself you are doing it OK whilst others can see the problem, being somewhat dyslexic, I can follow the argument real easy, I transpose Nos. not a good thing, the problem is I can read back correctly even though I have written\set incorrectly.

Have worked out how to get over the problem.

Interesting talk real easy to convince yourself you are doing it OK whilst others can see the problem, being somewhat dyslexic, I can follow the argument real easy, I transpose Nos. not a good thing, the problem is I can read back correctly even though I have written\set incorrectly.

Have worked out how to get over the problem.

I notice myself and other pilots doing the same thing. I almost always catch myself on it because I'm physically checking everything, but I get into the habit of stating that an item on the checklist is good and then having to say "oh wait... i mean..." At this point, where I'm still anal about double checking everything, I don't see it causing a problem, but with time comes complacency. Every time it happens, I have to just remind myself to slow down.

J-