Pilot height/weight restrictions?

well, the R22 has a useful load of about 400 pounds with 2 hours fuel and the 300C about 500 pounds useful load with 2 hours fuel. So with you and a 130# instructor in the 22 you'd be at the max in standard ISA conditions. Add in some higher DA's or even at higher altitudes (we take off at over 6000' MSL) and you wouldn't be flying at all unless you're in an R44. I've heard quite a few companies like about 230# or less but others would have to chime in on that.

Edited by flewthecoupe

Probably 240 or so is around the informal maximum. Lighter is always better. Every pound of pilot weight is a pound of payload lost, and given two equally qualified pilots, the lighter one will almost always get the job. That's not to say you can't get hired, but your chances at 270 pounds are greatly reduced. 270 is a lot for even a fixed-wing driver.

well, the R22 has a useful load of about 400 pounds with 2 hours fuel and the 300C about 500 pounds useful load with 2 hours fuel. So with you and a 130# instructor in the 22 you'd be at the max in standard ISA conditions. Add in some higher DA's or even at higher altitudes (we take off at over 6000' MSL) and you wouldn't be flying at all unless you're in an R44. I've heard quite a few companies like about 230# or less but others would have to chime in on that.

The R22 is out of the question due to the max seat weight of 240#. The R44 would be OK as it has a max seat weight of 300# and, as previously stated, a much greater useful load. I would think it would be a constant battle competing for jobs at 270#.

• 6 months later...
Probably 240 or so is around the informal maximum. Lighter is always better. Every pound of pilot weight is a pound of payload lost, and given two equally qualified pilots, the lighter one will almost always get the job. That's not to say you can't get hired, but your chances at 270 pounds are greatly reduced. 270 is a lot for even a fixed-wing driver.

I agree. From what I've found most of the initial jobs like the lighter pilots due to the size of the smaller ships. I think the only time size of the pilot won't be an issue are in those dream jobs flying the huge ships. Good luck getting the hours to qualify for said dream job. I'm 6'3" 240lbs and torn on what ship to do my CFI in.

One of the guys at Bell Training Academy is 320lbs, 6'4" I think. Of course he's been there forever, and I don't think he started there. He normally does Huey, 205, and Cobra courses for customers, but I flew in the Jet Ranger with him. We put 120lbs of ballast in the cargo box to level us out. He's the nicest guy in the world, that's for sure.

That said, I'd think you'd have a hard time finding someone to hire you, green, at that weight. Most R22 schools limit CFI weight below 200, so you'd certainly be going the 300 route if you were going to be a CFI.

At 190 lbs. I find that I'm sometimes limited when it comes to flying with students in an R-22. I'm finding a surprising number of people coming in for intro flights that weigh 220-230 lbs. Even in a minimally equipped ship we are right on the edge as far as weight and balance and can't carry much more than an hours worth of fuel.

I asked that same question when I started.

I have the opposite problem.

5'0" tall

108 lbs.

Turns out, it's a pretty sweet deal!! However, in the R22, I have to fly with a cushion (bought one of those kewl ones from RHC), and I need to carry 50# of weight when I solo (but prob not solo'ing much now as a CFI....lol).

But it's handy as being the "default" CFI when you have heavy students and heavy CFI's.

I can go full fuel with anyone.

Doesnt' suck. Hoping to score some work because of my "tinyness" in the future.

sandy

Edited by tattooed

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old topic but I figured I'd chime in anyway. Like Heli-pilot said, the seat limit in an R-22 is 240 lbs. This is a design limit. And more importantly it's a limit specified in the POH. The seats are designed to crush in a certain way in the event of an impact. If you exceed the weight limit it could increase the chance of injury. With a skinny person you might be within CG limits and the bird will fly - you'd still be breaking the rules.

At 270 you shouldn't be in an R-22. The seat's just not meant for that weight. I think that might even be over the limit of a schweizer but I'm not positive on that one (260lbs?). You would be ok in an R-44 though.

And for the record, I was barely under 240 when I started in the 22. It's coming off slowly. But, luckily, I've got one of those skinny people as an instructor (the 5' 108lb post above this one) so we make do.

I just realized that the original post was the guy's one and only post so I'm sure he'll never see this. But I hope it works out for him! I'm loving every minute in the helicopter! :)

• Like 1