Turbine Timebuilding

DizzyD

Hello All,

My business use of my B206 has slowed along with everything else but I would like to keep it flying and generate some revenue as well. What do you think the demand would be for PIC time at say $575 an hour in Southern California? Thanks for your replies.

DD

Hello All,

My business use of my B206 has slowed along with everything else but I would like to keep it flying and generate some revenue as well. What do you think the demand would be for PIC time at say $575 an hour in Southern California? Thanks for your replies.

DD

DD- This is not a criticism, but I can go fly a 206 and log PIC time for about $160 an hour now in LA.....flying with any number of radio ships. So, why would someone go for $575 ?.

Personally, I think tours and frost control would be more popular. Just wondering, where in So Cal are you located ??

Goldy

Criticism is welcomed thats why I posted. I am trying to find a avenue to keep the a/c. With R44s finding a market as trainers at $375+ at what price point does the Bell find a market? The a/c is presently located on a partners yacht that is about to go to market and the Bell must find a new home so I am looking for viable opportunities to keep it flying. I may just let it go with the boat if I can get compensated properly and acquire another Bell possibly with a partner. Any constructive ideas are welcomed.

DD

I think the only way to be competitive with that would be with an actual "turbine transition course" or something of that nature. Also, the companies you can fly with at $175 an hour you're basicly just flying along on someone elses commercial flight so you have no say as to where you go. In the current market though, people are leaning to whatever saves money. There might be a market for it, but personally I see that rate and can't even consider it. I agree with Goldy's idea about using it for commercial ops rather than flight training, but there are always people with money to burn if you can find them. Either way, good luck... I know it sucks having to consider cutting down.

J-

Genuinely appreciate all the input. Are these radio ships willing to put anyone with a PPL in their aircraft or do folks need some minimum level of turbine experience? I looked around and it seems that most 'schools' in SoCal want around 1000/hr for turbine transition and timebuilding.

Genuinely appreciate all the input. Are these radio ships willing to put anyone with a PPL in their aircraft or do folks need some minimum level of turbine experience? I looked around and it seems that most 'schools' in SoCal want around 1000/hr for turbine transition and timebuilding.

I would imagine that you would need a commercial licence since you are logging PIC and it's a commercial operation. There's been a few debates on this board about time building on commercial ops, but something like that I don't think you can skirt around. I might be looking to do a turbine transition within the next few months, so I'll keep you in mind... Especially if I need 1000 hours to go with the radio ships.

J-

DD

You can look at contacting the power and pipline componys for patrol. I have flown both and they require turbine machines. They like the Bell 206 for its room and comfort. You can look at fire fighting, Air rides, crop dusting, photo flights, and training are other options. You could look at being part 135 and fly personal transports. Each Helicopter compony where I am from, fly all the above (fly what ever when the schedual is open). The training is a good idea, but most people wont spend that kind of money for a few hrs of turbine time. The problem is most componys like EMS, Fire fighting, require 300 to 500 hrs of turbine before they will even look at you. The price you are offering is not a bad price for a 206. Here in MN the R44 goes for $550 to$650 per hour. The radio chopper in LA for the $175 per hour, I think they will let a PP fly with them. He says they opperate with a CFI. I dont know if that is legal or not, but a good deal if you want to fly over LA.

I hope this helps.

Chopper Tom

There's Philippe Lesourd that flies a 206b3 out of Van Nuys for KLOS traffic. You pay $190/hour (cash only) and you listen to him talk a lot in a high pitched french accent while you can't touch the collective too much. But took the transition course from him and he's great with that. He's actually fun.

There's also Commander Chuck for $155/hour out of Fullerton. Haven't done it yet but I'm scheduled in the end of April for a few days for the experience.

derek

• 2 weeks later...
It didn't say anything about time-building on the Commander Chuck website. Do you just email him and ask about it?

Thanks!

J-

Yepp, just email him. It's funny that these two time builders come up about every 6 months in a post and everyone jumps on like its a brand new idea. These guys have been doing it for DECADES!

Philippe also teaches in the 350, but thats quite a bit more than the 206.

Goldy