Can I get some study help???

I'm working on my commercial helicopter rating and I would like a little help from you all if possible.

I don't know what it is but I am having the worse time understanding the ADF/NDB navigation instruments (FIXED and Movable card) and calculations IE: magnetic heading relative bearing etc... Does anyone happen to have any documents, power point or study guides or anything designed for the mentally handicapped on this topic? Any tips or hints on how to remember how to figure these problems out? Does anyone even use NDB/ADF anymore?

Also, I have been taking the practice written exams at both exams4pilots.org and http://www.mywrittenexam.com/mwe/

I have set the exam for COMMERCIAL HELICOPTER yet every time I take it it is filled with AIRPLANE questions. Is their exam programs messed up or is there really THAT many questions about airplanes? I have never studied anything having to do with airplanes so I pretty much get all those questions wrong.

Finally------What is a G** D*** "Spin Up Lever" ?

Question 5733:

"If ground resonance is experienced during rotor spin up, what action do you take?"

ANSWER: Close the throttle and raise the spin up lever.

No helicopter I've ever flown has a spin up lever. I can only surmise this must a gyro plane question device?

Thank you in advance.

I would recommend buying a study guide for taking the written exam. It gives you an explanation to the answers and helps you learn more about the subject. I would only use the online exam as a measure of your progress. I personally would study up until I start getting in the mid 90s before taking the FAA exam. That is just my goals, and I want to know as much as I can about the subject because it will come in handy for the oral also. At least some of it.

I don't know what a spin up lever is either but I think you are on the right track that it must be for the gyrocopters.

The ADF/NDB can be very confusing at first and my personal preference is on the moving card ADFs is to not move the card and have it positioned in the north position. Again I think the test study guide will help you with this one. It explains how the formula works and after some time of working them it does come to you believe it or not. For any of the instrument work it helps if you can start to visualize your position in relation to the reading of the gauges.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck!! :D

Yes, this is a gyroplane question.

From the first hit on google:

Gyroplane questions – from Rotorcraft SPORT PILOT bank

C. Close the throttle and slowly raise the spin-up lever. Answer: A corrective action for ground resonance is an immediate takeoff if RPM is in ...

http://www.google.com/search?q=Close+the+t...e+spin+up+lever

The thing to remember about ADF is that the needle always points TO the station. There are no radials or anything else, it's just a non-directional beacon, in fact an AM radio station without the right-wing talk or music, and the receiver in the aircraft figures out the direction to the station and points a needle to it. There is no course information, just bearing, so you have to do the mental work to figure out the course and heading. You usually try to keep the course and bearing the same by varying your heading. Because the system is so simple, you as the pilot have a more difficult job. The only way to really learn this well is to go up and fly instruments using the ADF, but that's becoming difficult since the NDBs are no longer being actively maintained, and are being removed at a rather rapid pace. You can use commercial AM radio stations for practice, though. Back when I was learning instruments, 35+ years ago, there were NDBs everywhere, and almost every ILS had one as a LOM. Those days are long gone, and GPS has replaced NDBs to a great degree, and will likely replace VORs and ILSs in the long term. There are still aircraft, especially small fixed-wing, with only VOR and ADF installed, though, so the FAA still requires that they be learned.

If you're a commercial rotary-wing pilot, you could theoretically fly a gyroplane, so you have to learn some things about them, too. The rotorcraft on your license doesn't mean just helicopter, although the classes are different, and you'll need a separate checkride for a gyroplane.

I would recommend buying a study guide for taking the written exam. It gives you an explanation to the answers and helps you learn more about the subject. I would only use the online exam as a measure of your progress. I personally would study up until I start getting in the mid 90s before taking the FAA exam. That is just my goals, and I want to know as much as I can about the subject because it will come in handy for the oral also. At least some of it.

I have the books/study guides- about a three foot tall pile of them. Like I said though I have mortar where my brain should be and am having a tough time digesting and understanding this thing. The sad part is I suspect I'll have the same problem witht he commercial VOR questions even thgouh I don't have the same trouble understanding the VOR........... IE changing course 5 degrees taking XX amount of time to hit the X radial, how long will it take to get to the station....Uuuhhhhhggg. I hate these~!

One instrument at time though......

Thanks for all your input.

How does a gyroplane get into ground resonance?

It don't

What seems simple enough is if you're flying to an NDB, have the needle point the way. If it's used to locate a point, have the card in alignment with the aircraft. Flying an airway, use the GPS.

Honestly, with the advent of VORTAC's and GPS, it seems that the NDB's have the same fate as LORAN. I remember learning the LORAN system back in 86. I'm not even sure that late model aircraft even have those instruments any more. Does the SR-22, with its glass panel, have a selection for NDB's? I mean, the next thing in glass panels is synthetic vision. Who needs NDB's when you have little boxes to fly through.

Maybe the FAA might bring the tests into the 21ts century.

Later.

Edited by Witch

Question 5733:

"If ground resonance is experienced during rotor spin up, what action do you take?"

No helicopter I've ever flown has a spin up lever. I can only surmise this must a gyro plane question device?

Thank you in advance.

The spin up lever is used to start the rotor on a gyrocopter before takeoff. After takeoff, rotor RPM is maintained through autorotation.

How does a gyroplane get into ground resonance?

The same way a helicopter gets into ground resonance.

It don't

It do. There are gyro designs that use fully articulated rotor systems.

You can find some information about gyrocopters in the Rotorcraft Flying Handbook.

Check this out!

Edited by PhotoFlyer

It do. There are gyro designs that use fully articulated rotor systems.

If you're talking Fairey or Pitcairn, then yes, you might have ground resonance. The majority of gyroplanes however have two blades with no articulation whatsoever. Even the Pitcairn has those wires to reduce ground resonance. The Carter has an articulated rotor, but it has only two blades.

That's all I'm going to say.

Oh, and that spin-up lever thing, I surmise they're talking aboot a ground resonance while the pre-rotator is engaged. Once again, this won't happen on a non-articulated, two blade gyroplane. You close the throttle to reduce the rotor speed, and raise the lever to slow the rotor even more. Then apply the rotor brake if so equipped.

Edited by Witch

Ground resonance can start, develop, and destroy the aircraft before you can think about it. It happens, in helicopter and in gyroplanes, or anything else with the wings spinning up top. With only two blades, the probability is reduced, but it's still there. With an articulated system, it's not just there, it's waiting for you to make a mistake so it can kick your a**. Never take it lightly.

Not to get sexist, but I had an instructor once who told me "Mini Hooters Really Bother Me Badly."

I disagree, personally, but it seemed like that was my mantra during my Inst and CFII exams today.

Not to get sexist, but I had an instructor once who told me "Mini Hooters Really Bother Me Badly."

I disagree, personally, but it seemed like that was my mantra during my Inst and CFII exams today.

Well I was going to leave it out, but since ADRidge brought this down the wrong gutter.

Warning!!! not suitable for all viewers beyond this line.

When it comes to actually navigating by ADF, think of it as your partner(lover) When they go down on you their head falls and tail raises. lol.

I'm working on my commercial helicopter rating and I would like a little help from you all if possible.

I don't know what it is but I am having the worse time understanding the ADF/NDB navigation instruments (FIXED and Movable card) and calculations IE: magnetic heading relative bearing etc... Does anyone happen to have any documents, power point or study guides or anything designed for the mentally handicapped on this topic? Any tips or hints on how to remember how to figure these problems out? Does anyone even use NDB/ADF anymore?

Also, I have been taking the practice written exams at both exams4pilots.org and http://www.mywrittenexam.com/mwe/

I have set the exam for COMMERCIAL HELICOPTER yet every time I take it it is filled with AIRPLANE questions. Is their exam programs messed up or is there really THAT many questions about airplanes? I have never studied anything having to do with airplanes so I pretty much get all those questions wrong.

Question 5733:

Thank you in advance.

dude goto www.checkride.com and download the test. Its a great and easy study guide. and Maybe give up the weed. lol

• 3 weeks later...