The death of the Bell 47

This topic was accidently put in the wrong category.

A friend of mine, who is a helicopter mechanic, recently told me that the price of a new main rotor blade for a 47G5 is $179,500 each from Bell. And tail rotor blades are $10,000 each. If this is true, and my friend is usually "right on", I don't see how anyone can afford to operate a 47 and it is still probably the most commonly used helicopter for agricultural spraying, followed by 206's and OH58's. I can't see the R44 Robinson becoming a viable replacement for the 47 but I guess time will tell.

Most Bell 47G5's use the -23(long weighted metal) blades which are used on many 47 models. Take the weight out and they become -21's. I've also heard that Bell has jacked up the price of 206 blades and Oh58 blades are becoming hard to find and pretty pricey. I don't think Bell wants to support any of these older machines particularly 47's and ex-military (Hweys & Oh58's).

Your right, they don't want to support older machines. They want people to buy new stuff, even though the old stuff works just as good doing most operations. Who wants to buy a $8 million 412 when a $1-2 million 205/212 will work just as well??