STAR System

STAR System (Start-up overspeed limiter, Automatic rotor engagement, Low-rotor RPM warning)

I'm wondering if anyone can elaborate on this STAR System. My CFI mentioned it, I looked it up. I can guess some of it.. but would like to get more indepth information, expecially about the overspeed limiter...

Is it exclusive to Schweizer 300cbi or do other helicopters have it too etc?

The Schweizer 300CBi received FAA certification in 2002 as an enhanced version of the company's 300CB. Since then, the 300CBi has become the training helicopter of choice due to its excellent flight handling characteristics, impressive safety record and a number of improvements. These improvements include a fuel injected engine, overhaul/retirement components with time/life limits not less than 4000 hours and Schweizer's STAR system which includes a start-up over speed limiter, automatic rotor engagement and a low rotor RPM warning device. Combined, these features and enhancements provide simplified operating procedures, competitive operating costs and further safety advancements.

the "overspeed limiter" is just shorting out the mags so the pilot doesn't damage the lower pulley coupling drive shaft by having the throttle open too much when starting the engine and the engine quickly revving over 2000 rpm while the belt drive is disengaged.

• 2 months later...

There is a procedure to test it...

Start up the helicopter normally, then slowly roll the throttle up past 1,800 RPM. At that point the limiter should engage and the RPM gauge will be... dramatic....

Before you get all worried, have someone else do this while you stand outside the helicopter. The gauge is jumping like crazy, the engine is not. But don't leave it there forever, it can't be good for it. :)

It has saved more than one HIO-306-G1A engine in the past few years... *knock on wood*

A bigger issue is pilots having the throttle open when starting the engine, it is very hard to catch if you do this, and easy to do a lot of damage to the engine really quick...